[Solved] DNS resolving on green and blue

General questions.
Humulus

[Solved] DNS resolving on green and blue

Post by Humulus » January 30th, 2017, 9:23 am

Hi all,

I had to configure a DNS forwarder for a .com domain. All machines on green are working fine: when they want to connect to the site they get the right internal IP address.

This site is also available via the internet and the internet address should be used by machines on the blue network.
But because the name resolving results in an internal IP address, the blue machines can't connect.

Is it possible with the dns server from ipfire to resolve a site name to different IP addresses depending if you are on green or blue?
Or should I install a DNS server in blue to overcome this problem.

regards,
Ruud
Last edited by Humulus on February 17th, 2017, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humulus

Re: DNS resolving on green and blue

Post by Humulus » February 17th, 2017, 12:48 pm

I tried to make things difficult :)

I was thinking about split horizon dns, but Unbound used in IPfire doesn't support that out of the box. (There is a python script for Unbound to add this functionality, but I don't have the time to look into it).

But when I looked further into this problem, I found that I only needed to resolve one name in blue to an external IP.
So I just added this to the hosts file, because that's the first place ipfire will look for name resolving.