IPFire and OpenVPN Setup Question

General questions.
ipfire_user

IPFire and OpenVPN Setup Question

Post by ipfire_user » June 17th, 2017, 12:08 am

I've been using IPFire for a few months and generally speaking all has performed well.

The setup is pretty standard with RED + GREEN + Blue(wireless) interfaces.

I'm now attempting to setup my IPFire box as a client to an OpenVPN server.

I have masquerade rules in firewall.local for both the green subnet and the blue subnet.

Everything is mostly working. After connecting to the OpenVPN server, the green network works fine. The Blue network however isn't working correctly. Looking in the logs, it appears that packets from the blue0 interface to the tun0 interface are being dropped.

I'm fairly new to iptables rules so think the issue is that I need a rule that will allow packets to be forwarded from the blue0 interface to the tun0 interface (as best I know by default the blue0 interface doesn't have forwarding to other interfaces allowed).

After searching, I haven't been able to find many samples. Some seem to be:

iptables -t filter -I POLICYFWD 1 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.1.0/24 -i blue0 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT

I tried both of those in firewall.local but neither seems to have the desired effect.

I'm thinking that the issue is placement or that the above rules need to be in some other chain or the rules themselves are incorrect?

Can anyone help with what the rules should be and where to place the rules given wherever the default blue to other interfaces drop forward rule is?

I'd like to preserve the no forwarding between the green and blue networks, just want to have the blue clients be able to access the tun interface properly.

Thanks in advance!

ipfire_user

Re: IPFire and OpenVPN Setup Question

Post by ipfire_user » June 19th, 2017, 7:27 pm

This is resolved. After digging through all the various default chains, ended up putting a rule right above the DROP rule in the WIRELESSFORWARD chain to get the job done.