IPv6 Address Reservations in IPFire

General questions.
stlawr

IPv6 Address Reservations in IPFire

Post by stlawr » April 4th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Verizon has recently made a change to their service so that they will not give out static IPv4 addresses, only IPv6. For security purposes, we have a firewall rule setup to only allow specific IP addresses in, which are setup as a group of IPv4 addresses. Is there a way to do the same thing with IPv6 addresses?

Rory

MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: IPv6 Address Reservations in IPFire

Post by MichaelTremer » April 5th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Hello,

IPFire 2 currently does not support IPv6.

-Michael

Delam

Post by Delam » April 6th, 2017, 2:40 pm

MichaelTremer wrote:Hello,

IPFire 2 currently does not support IPv6.

-Michael
So, when will you release a version supporting IPv6 ?

MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by MichaelTremer » April 6th, 2017, 7:38 pm

IPFire 3 has full IPv6 support but is still in alpha stage. There is no ETA for this since we lack time to work on it...

Gadgetskopf

Post by Gadgetskopf » September 21st, 2017, 3:13 am

MichaelTremer wrote:
April 6th, 2017, 7:38 pm
IPFire 3 has full IPv6 support but is still in alpha stage. There is no ETA for this since we lack time to work on it...
I'm absolutely begging you for IPv6.

I've recently relocated to an area serviced by Comcast, who basically require IPv6 support. I tried my hardest to get IPFire v2 to work following all the how-tos I could find, but ultimately had to switch to an entirely different firewall JUST to be able to get back on the internet.

I ended up with OPNsense, which has been an absolute nightmare to try and get port forwarding to work. I miss my stable IPFire with an ache I would not have believed.

I can't get my son's xbox off of strict NAT, I can't get my plex server to be recognized, and I'm living in fear something about this situation will end up keeping me from being able to do work for my job remotely.

Please understand I don't want to minimize my appreciation for the work you've done and continue to do, but without IPv6 support, I'm dead in the water.