Core 110 testing

Help on building IPFire & Feature Requests
fkienker

Core 110 testing

Post by fkienker » April 14th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Upgraded a "clean" Core 109 testing box with no issues. While a reboot does not seem necessary, the box performed better a reboot. No issues with the system so far.

Good work!
Fred

rodneyp

Re: Core 110 testing

Post by rodneyp » April 21st, 2017, 4:25 am

Did likewise & did not need to reboot.

Printing via CUPS on IPFire worked to a postscript printer. Might require testing to a range of non-postscript printers to be confident that all filters are working.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 25th, 2017, 8:50 am

I've now tested one only non-postscript printer, an Epson WF-7520, that won't be a widely used item. I configured the printer via web interface, following the procedure at http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/addons/cups/start. There being no PPD file for this printer in IPFire, I selected one from a working installation in Leap 42 and got the printer configured

It worked, from Windows 8.1-64, via IPFire CUPS, with either the ethernet and USB interfaces connected to the IPFire host.

Could not get it to work from openSUSE Leap 42. Some of the prerequisites are present in Core 110:
/lib/cups/filters/epson-escpr & /lib/cups/filters/epson-escpr-wrapper. CUPS log in IPFire showed no errors & web interface reports all jobs completed - but no printout - indeed no activity at all at printer end.

Unable to test my other non-postscript printer, a Brother MFC-J6910DW, from either Windows or Linux. Brother have filters that are more specific to each model and none are present in IPFire's /lib/cups/filters.

fkienker

Post by fkienker » April 25th, 2017, 7:05 pm

rodneyp wrote:Could not get it to work from openSUSE Leap 42. Some of the prerequisites are present in Core 110:
/lib/cups/filters/epson-escpr & /lib/cups/filters/epson-escpr-wrapper. CUPS log in IPFire showed no errors & web interface reports all jobs completed - but no printout - indeed no activity at all at printer end.
Are you trying to print via SMB or via IPP?

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 25th, 2017, 9:47 pm

I'm trying to print via IPP - similar to what I do to my file/print server that is running openSUSE.

There I use socket<ip address>:9100 successfully with this printer. I tried both that and IPFires' default of lpd<ip address>:515 and each gave similar, unsuccessful result.

I use a range of different paper sizes and types. One objective is to set these up once only, on the server then be able to print from at least two PC by simply configuring the server to use in "print settings".

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 26th, 2017, 2:40 am

I dug out a 32 bit openSUSE machine and installed the epson-inkjet-printer-escpr package, then scp the three /usr/lib/libescpr* to the same directory on my 32 bit core 110 host.

Now can print from Linux workstation to the WF-7520 via IPFire, using any of the three connections - USB or over LAN via socket or IPfire's default lpd.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 26th, 2017, 3:46 am

BTW, a little before adding the libraries to core110, I rebooted the IPFire machine. It gave an error, that I did not have time to copy completely, but related to avahi and referred to a segmentation fault at:

line 26739 /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K<did not get the remainder>

File K35avahi seems likely candidate

I haven't rebooted this machine much and probably not since the pakfire update of cups-filters a couple of days ago. Have not seen any error messages at reboot previously.

Handled print jobs correctly following the reboot.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 26th, 2017, 5:38 am

I've now tried a similar approach with my Brother MFC-J6910DW inkjet printer. Used Brother's installer script to download & install required software on a 32 bit workstation. Then rsynced the files/folders it created in /opt, /usr/lib/cups/filter & /usr/bin to identical folders on IPFire core 110 i686 host.

Connected the printer to core 110 host via USB cable and configured the printer via web interface.

Printed Libreoffice document without difficulty. I am selecting PS rather than PDF as print file format - but that is an ongoing issue with Libreoffice on openSUSE.

Epson cover a wide range of escp printers with a single set of scripts & libraries. OTOH, Brother implement scripts & binaries having name specific to model, possibly making inclusion of latter in IPFire more difficult.