Is there something wrong with the samba and sane packages in pakfire?

Brommer

Is there something wrong with the samba and sane packages in pakfire?

Post by Brommer » May 15th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Problem: all my addons install fine except for samba and sane

History: I was running core 109 on my Raspberry Pi, but was running in kernel panic all of a sudden. Even rebooting would result in the same problem. Having backups, i figured reinstalling was the way to go & restoring the backups. Sadly to no avail.... So i downloaded the new core 110 & restored my 109 backups: ultimately again same issue on top of the fact it was looking for all kinds of directories that didn't exit ! Since i had another set of backups of core 102, i reinstalled that & restored its 102 backups. Result was i've never seen it run in such a robust fashion: quick to boot & quick to shutdown, very solid and most of all no kernel panic. I reinstalled all my addons, but got stuck with samba & sane (see attched pic)

Question: any reason for this ? All of my other addons installed quickly ! It's been like this for at least a week....
Attachments
SambaSane.jpg
Pakfire issues

Brommer

Re: Is there something wrong with the samba and sane packages in pakfire?

Post by Brommer » May 16th, 2017, 10:45 am

Ok so i thought i'd try the manual way as described here (bottom post by ummeege):

viewtopic.php?t=12370

I tried this for the samba package corresponding to my architecture. The results are show in the image below. As one can see there's errors. However i'm no BSD wizard, so i'm not sure what all this means in an ipfire context.
Attachments
PakfireFrom terminal.jpg
Pakfire from terminal

Deepcuts

Post by Deepcuts » May 18th, 2017, 4:57 am

I am no expert but it seems there is some corruption going on.
Either the backup or the physical disk.
I would reinstall from scratch.

H3rrahuumori

Post by H3rrahuumori » May 18th, 2017, 7:11 am

I had the same problem with my clean core 109 installation that the pakfire Samba installing got stuck in the loop. I don't know what the problem was but installing the core 110 update fixed it for me.

Brommer

Post by Brommer » May 20th, 2017, 1:50 am

@ Deepcuts: fearing corruption is what pushed me towards a reinstall in the first place. The 102 install was clean. Corruption of the SD card was a distinct possibility, as power outages are known that they can have such an effect on the raspberry pi. However the fact that most packages install fine, on top of being a new install, i seriously think there's something else going on with the core 102 pakfire.

@ H3rrahuumori: not being overly enthousiastic about this option, bearing in mind the history described above, i made an image of my running 102 SD card using PowerISO (i always do this so i can put it back on the SD card with Etcher or Win32Imager, should things blow up in my face) and went ahead with a full update to core 110. So far it's holding up. To my surprise you are quite right the other packages install fine (samba, sane etc).

I guess it's now time to make a backup of this core 110 SD card !