"Unable to Install the system" Core 112

rodneyp

Re: "Unable to Install the system" Core 112

Post by rodneyp » August 30th, 2017, 6:17 am

It transpired that there were two problems

Faulty RAM - the machine reported "segmentation faults" when I moved a pre-installed HDD to it and booted. memtest86 reported only two faulty bits, but that was sufficient to bomb the installer. After I removed the faulty RAM module (that I had marked as tested OK a few months ago) the installation proceeded smoothly. "infrared", who started in this thread, could check that on their new machine, although they were able to get earlier cores to install.

ATAPI parameters - The principle suggested by Arne was fine, but this BIOS lumps LBA/Large as one parameter, with the choices being "auto" or "disabled". The latter is the one which got IPFire installed & booting. When set to "auto" the drive having IPFire installed locked up the machine.

I tried to elimiate the less common Sempron 32-bit CPU in the machine being a factor by installing on a machine having Intel 865G chipset & pentium 4 processor on Intel mainboard. Similar choices for the LBA/Large parameter and core 112 installed smoothly with either setting to a zeroed HDD. But either setting caused the Seagate 20 GB HDD having Core 112 installed to be reported as "invalid ATAPI device". Manually realigning the partitions to end on "cylinder" boundaries made no difference. Converting the disk-label to "GPT" resolved the "invalid ATAPI device" problem and got it past the POST, regardless of the setting for "LBA/Large" Then re-installing GRUB got it booting IPFire.

It would be a lot less work if "GPT" were an option in the IPFire installer.

infrared

Post by infrared » September 19th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Just wanted to mention that this problem went away for me with the Core 113 update. No idea what changed... nothing about the boot script mentioned in the release announcement. Anyway, Core 113 installed just fine on two Qotom-Q310G4 units, which are now out in production.

I've order two Qotom-Q190G4N-S07 units and am hoping I will have a good experience on those as well after my hard drives arrive. These other models are bettered suited for use as firewall hardware, and also use mSATA drives. The drives won't arrive until Thursday so It will be a few days before I can test on Core 113.

infrared

Post by infrared » September 21st, 2017, 7:54 pm

I wanted to report that Core 113 installed fine on the Qotom-Q190G4N-S07. The only glitch was I had to adjust a American Megatrends BIOS boot setting from "Win7 Legacy" to "Win8 Legacy" to get it to boot into my installation USB stick.

So far, I'm liking these Qotom-Q190G4N-S07 units better. They are thinner form factor, and also the interface name order matches the physical order. And also I didn't like the other units so much because it seems like I was often having trouble getting signal from the HDMI, but these ones are VGA, which never gives me any trouble. Only catch is you have to use an mSATA drive instead of a standard 2.5 laptop drive, which I guess might be an issue if you want 1+ TB of storage for some reason.