CUPS without CUPS filters - How is this supposed to work?

Questions to IPFire Addons.
powerbat

CUPS without CUPS filters - How is this supposed to work?

Post by powerbat » December 22nd, 2016, 10:05 pm

As we all know CUPS printing switched from PS-based to PDF-based printing since CUPS version 1.6. IPFire contains CUPS 2.0 as an Addon but does not provide the OpenPrinting CUPS-filters package which is mandatory for the PDF-based workflow. How is this supposed to work?

star

Re: CUPS without CUPS filters - How is this supposed to work?

Post by star » March 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm

Same problem here, everything worked fine from Ubuntu 14.04 client. But updating it to 16.04 all jobs to my Epson DX8400 printer are dropped due to missing Mime types
Does anybody know how to deal with this issue?

powerbat

Post by powerbat » April 13th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Unfortunately there is still no solution for this. Problem was reported in 2014 already in the German forum but nothing happened. Obviously there is not much interest in running CUPS on IPFire. :(

Jonatan.S
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by Jonatan.S » April 14th, 2017, 6:28 am

Hi,

see this post
http://planet.ipfire.org/post/ipfire-2- ... or-testing

under addons:
cups-filter 2.2.2

regards Jonatan

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 17th, 2017, 12:53 am

I've installed CUPS plus Foomatic addons for Core 109. This provides quite a number of PPD files for printers of various brands under /usr/share/cups/model. I think those are mostly for Postscript printer models - at least for my IPFire, which is running on a Banana Pi, ARM architecture. I do have one model listed - Brother 9120, although I have not tried it from IPFire. I've only recently got network printing, via my separate file/print server, working reliably and don't want to mess with it. If anyone does want to explore network printing via IPFire then I suggest doing so from a "sandbox" workstation.

Those running IPFire on x86 might find that it has filters for a much wider range of printers. If not, then it might be possible to install some, using packages from printer manufacturer's site, which is where I got the packages for Brother & Epson printers, that I use on my x86 Linux server. The packages do depend on LSB 3.2 and I am uncertain whether IPFire provides that.

I have not explored Core 110 - can't find it on the IPFire site and probably too late for the testing phase ?

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 18th, 2017, 11:52 pm

As a means of testing CUPS on IPFire, I set up printing on a laptop (from which I usually don't print). It was running CUPS 2.3.1.and I was able to print successfully via my usual Linux file & print server, that is also running CUPS 2.1.3.

Core 109 is running CUPS 2.0.4. I was able to locate it from the laptop and set it as print server, then successfully print via it. Any workstation running CUPS 1.6 or later should be using similar network printing processes and be able to work with IPFire. The particular printer that I have configured (Brother 9120CN) is postscript and that might make the arrangement more reliable.

I did all configuration of CUPS on IPFire, including adding the printer, via the web interface to http://ipfire:631. This is documented at http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/addons/cups/start.

My laptop is running Linux. I have not tested printing from Windows, although the documentation at http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/addons/cups/start does also describe how to configure it.

I note some issues with "avahi" in pending changes with Core 110 and that might affect CUPS on IPFire.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » April 21st, 2017, 4:16 am

I've upgraded a test machine to Core 110. The upgrade did add avahi plus cups-filters packages.

Printing via ipfire continues working from a Linux workstation.