From CLI, change the GREEN DHCP range

General questions.
RichardB

From CLI, change the GREEN DHCP range

Post by RichardB » June 26th, 2019, 6:17 pm

While troubleshooting an ongoing problem with IPFire, from the CLI I ran the setup program and change the GREEN IP address from 172.16.1.1 to 172.16.10.1 . I knew that the DHCP server for GREEN would have to be changed as well but the setup program does not allow changing the GREEN DHCP IP range; unlike during installation when it does ask. So short of having to edit files directly, which I was told we are not supposed to do, how can the DHCP address range be changed form the CLI?

rodneyp

Re: From CLI, change the GREEN DHCP range

Post by rodneyp » June 27th, 2019, 2:37 am

I don't know of any way to change DHCP base address without directly editing files.

The most reliable solution would be to re-install, being careful to define the DHCP range that you now require. It would not be viable to restore backup settings though.

RichardB

Post by RichardB » June 27th, 2019, 3:25 pm

This issue came up because I had to move the IPFire box to a RED subnet that had the same IP addressing as the GREEN. It seems crazy to have to reinstall simply because the DHCP ranges for GREEN can not be changed from the CLI or setup program.

I did find the config file for the GREEN dhcp, /var/ipfire/dhcp/dhcpd.conf , and edited it. But since one can change the firewall GREEN IP address in the setup program, then why can't the DHCP addresses also be changed using the setup program?

HVACguy

Post by HVACguy » July 11th, 2019, 1:04 am

This is how I do It.
viewtopic.php?t=7959

JonM

Post by JonM » July 11th, 2019, 7:59 pm

in the CLI:

setup
Networking > Addresses > OK
change GREEN IP address from 172.16.1.1 to 172.16.10.1