Speedtest upload causes red interface to reset

General questions.
makara

Speedtest upload causes red interface to reset

Post by makara » January 10th, 2017, 2:02 am

Hi,

I have had Ipfire working well for a long time on a dual core HP desktop with 4 GB RAM, I recently upgraded to Core 108 and noticed frequent reconnects on the red interface. The red interface is on the Intel 1Gb network port on the motherboard, blue and green are on PCI cards (one intel, one Realtec)

The download part of a speedtest on speedtest.net causes no problems (up to around 70 Mb/s), however the upload part of the test almost always causes the red interface to disconnect and reconnect.

I set up a similar machine and the same problem occurs.

Any ideas what may be the cause of this?

David

Deepcuts

Re: Speedtest upload causes red interface to reset

Post by Deepcuts » January 10th, 2017, 3:20 am

I had some cases where the cable was the problem, causing something similar to a portflap on some Mirotik routers.
I would suggest: change the cable.

makara

Post by makara » January 10th, 2017, 3:32 am

Thanks for the reply, I've tried this on two separate machines with two separate cables, so I'm not sure that's the issue, but will change them and see what happens.

Alorotom

Post by Alorotom » January 10th, 2017, 7:46 am

Hello makara,

had the same problems with several onboard, PCI and PCIe Intel NICs. Exactly when load occures on the interface. Reason still unknown to me. But workarounds are available:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14928&p=90494&hili ... TSO#p90494

Or search for
ethtool -K red0 gso off gro off tso off sg off
To make it persistent: /etc/sysconfig/rc.local
(performance loss)

Or you could try also
options e1000e IntMode=1 > /etc/modprobe.d/e1000e.conf
If this works for you, GSO GRO TSO off is not needed.

I'm using Realtek NICs since. Of course I know that they are not as performant as Intel NICs but thats not relevant with my internet connection and the way I use my IPFire.

Regards
Alorotom

makara

Post by makara » January 17th, 2017, 2:02 am

An update if you are reading this because you have problems with an Intel onboard NIC constantly resetting

I tried 3 different computers, all around 5 or more years old with Core update 108 loaded, and all experienced frequent resetting of the interface using the onboard intel NIC.

I tried another machine with an NVidea NIC, no problems at all, runs at full network speed with no resets.

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire » January 17th, 2017, 8:14 am

Should I expect the same behaviour with IPFire running on ESXi 6.5 (free Hypervisor) when upgrading to core 108 from 102?

Guess no one can answer this before trying myself, right? Or is there already some feedback available. Don't won't to mess my IPFire, however a VM snapshot should be good point to start from.

Michael