Update Accelerator Cache Maintenance

General questions.
bloater99

Update Accelerator Cache Maintenance

Post by bloater99 » March 28th, 2017, 6:31 pm

If Max Disk Usage is reached in Update Accelerator, does it automatically prune the oldest files to keep caching new ones, or is it up to the administrator to manually do this?

Roberto Peña

Re: Update Accelerator Cache Maintenance

Post by Roberto Peña » March 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Hi bloater99.

Maybe can be this?. Will check weekly if repository packages are outdated?.
Checkup.jpg
Just in case, I sometimes manually purge everything by eliminating everything and re-generating it. Once a year, more or less and I do not have it clear either.

Let's see if anyone can clarify the subject a little.

Regards

╔════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Donate to improve IPFire: https://www.ipfire.org/donate
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

bloater99

Post by bloater99 » March 28th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Hi Roberto,

I think what that setting does is check the file source of the files it currently caches, and if the source is updated, then IPFire will update the cache with the new source. So the file is retained, but the cached version is updated to match the source. At least that's how I understand it.

I like to keep my cache as big as possible because sometimes I reinstall an OS and it's faster to receive the updates from the cache than to redownload again. Especially since our internet download speed is only 10Mbps.

Thanks for the reply.

jlgtx

Post by jlgtx » June 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm

According to the Update Accelerator info page in the wiki:

Max. disk usage: Update Accelerator does not start new downloads, if the usage of the file system which holds the repository exceeds this limit.

So it would appear that, once "max disk usage" is reached, UA simply stops downloading anything. There is no automatic maintenance. Which begs the question: How can we script, via Connection Scheduler or cron, regular cache maintenance? This is pretty crucial for maintaining the benefits of UA over the long term.

BeBiMa

Post by BeBiMa » June 6th, 2019, 3:19 pm

For an automatic maintenance we have to know how long updates should be held in the repository.
It is not trivial to determine the validity period of an update file.
Update Accelerator is interesting mainly in environments with small internet bandwidth, to my opinion. A possible false decision induces the possibility of a double network load ( direct download by the requestor, download by Update Accelerator to the repository ).

A possible compromise could be a selection of files to be deleted in the manual maintenance.

For development of an automatic process we must gather much information about behaviour of the update applications supported. This information should come from users of update accelerator.
Unitymedia Cable Internet ( 32MBit )

TimF

Post by TimF » June 6th, 2019, 7:45 pm

There's a script here which may help:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12984&p=114556#p112760

BeBiMa

Post by BeBiMa » June 6th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Thanks for the reminder. ;)

The cited solution is bit rough. It doesn't consider the logical structure of the repository.
I just looked at the source of the WUI. The code for manual wipe of files older than x days etc. is there.
It should be possible to copy this to a program run periodically by cron. Remains the configuration.
Unitymedia Cable Internet ( 32MBit )