Partitions Resize

General questions.
Hellfire

Re: Partitions Resize

Post by Hellfire » August 9th, 2018, 6:16 am

rodneyp wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 9:42 pm
For wquatan

You should not need to remove the HDD from your IPFire box for any of these operations. A small utility such as http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php is capable of booting from a USB flash memory device and being used to modify partitions.
Problem is when you do have a headless device, like me and have only access via serial console. Guess many of us have this configuration. In this case you have to dismount your HDD/SDD and attach it to a PC in order to use partition tools like GParted.

Btw. I already did changed my partition layout this way, guess it was SDA3, using a partition tool, don't remember exactly which one, though.

Michael

wquatan

Post by wquatan » August 9th, 2018, 7:15 am

Hellfire wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 6:16 am
Problem is when you do have a headless device, like me and have only access via serial console. Guess many of us have this configuration. In this case you have to dismount your HDD/SDD and attach it to a PC in order to use partition tools like GParted.
Exactly !

When I started this Topic, I was 100% convinced the HDD partitioning would one day give me problems.
rodneyp wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 9:42 pm
You don't say which architecture of IPFire you are running nor what HDD size, making it difficult to provide suitable guidance
See in reply
wquatan wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 8:46 pm
@rodneyp:
If someone could explain what I can do solve Problem 2 in my earlier reply.
Because changing the size of SDA1 (Boot) is/was the main reason of the resizing issue and still isn't solved.

Thanks

silverknight

Post by silverknight » August 9th, 2018, 7:37 am

Is doing a backup via the webGUI and restoring after a clean install out of the question? From the details in this thread it sounds like quite an old install. I recently had the pleasure of needing to resize the boot on my old home install, I also wanted to move to the 64-bit version as the devs have suggested. Whole thing took me 20 mins, the backup/restore system on IPFire really is quite good. I would suggest saving a headache and give that old system a fresh install.

wquatan

Post by wquatan » August 9th, 2018, 7:50 am

In general I don't consider re-install this or that as a solution of a problem but as workaround bypassing the real problem.
No lessons learned at all, no way/guarantee to avoid happening again.

I want to know why things are happening and how to solve them

Thanks

wquatan

Post by wquatan » August 9th, 2018, 1:58 pm

I was able to resize the SDA1 (Boot) with gparted-LiveCD.

So it is now 128Mb aligned to MiB

But now the system doesn't boot anymore.
At first I saw that the SDA1 was no longer set as active, so I made it active again and updated the MBR, but that doesn't change anything : no booting

If I go inside the partitions (when connected to another PC) I can see the files\directory (like \Grub a.s.o.)

It is really a problem that I can't do anything while the HDD is mounted where it should be.

I think something is wrong now in the boot sequence, but that the partition itself is ok

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » August 9th, 2018, 10:05 pm

You previously moved the /boot partition. That is likely to stop bootloader working as well as putting you in Linux intermediate level user territory to get bootloader working again. Will also require the live CD "supergrub 2"

Your simplest option now is reinstall. It will make /boot at least 64 MB.

In answer to one of your previous questions, SWAP works best if towards the beginning of a HDD (does not matter for SSD)

wquatan

Post by wquatan » August 9th, 2018, 10:20 pm

I don't mind a "less easier way" as long I can make the device working again.
I have been recovering partitions and (non-booting) Windows-systems many times, but sadly I don't have the Linux-knowledge.

In the meanwhile I made up my mind :

If I can't do the same with my IPFIRE, after many years of IPCOP followed by 8 years IPFIRE, I'm going to abandon IPFIRE.

I simply refuse to do a re-install just because "a setting" got wrong (which can for sure be repaired). Then I better stop using IPFIRE completely.

Thanks

silverknight

Post by silverknight » August 10th, 2018, 9:58 pm