What can i expect from this hardware?

General questions.
hasseman

What can i expect from this hardware?

Post by hasseman » February 24th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Hi.
I have an old DELL optiplex GX 620.
CPU: Intel Celeron D 336, 2.80GHz singelcore (64bit)
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 (4x256 GB)
HDD: 40 GB Samsung

2 supported gbit networkscard (one on motherbord, and one PCI).

Lets say i am using this computer as router and DHCP server on a 1 gbit internet connection with total of 100 computers. Could it handle it?
Could it handle more then 100 connected computers.

If its not able to handle 100+ computers, should i change the CPU to a better one or upgrade the RAM memory or both?

Deepcuts

Re: What can i expect from this hardware?

Post by Deepcuts » February 25th, 2018, 12:34 am

With light browsing and email, it will "handle" 100 clients.
Just remember; ONLY DHCP, NAT and...that is all.
No proxy, IDP (Snort), logging cut to a minimum.
Even then, the user experience will be sub-par.
For 100 clients and more I would say: buy decent hardware and let the poor Dell retire in peace.

hasseman

Post by hasseman » February 25th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Unfotenly i have a very tight budget and cant buy new hardware.
I have a friends that have a better CPU for me. An intel core2duo E4300 or Intel core2duo E6300. Another friend have a Intel Pentium 4 650.
Then i looking for 4 GB DDR2 memory (max for the motherboard).
The parts are free whn my friends found them.
Better than nothing. Right?

Deepcuts

Post by Deepcuts » February 25th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Just out of curiosity: is it for an office network? A neighborhood network? A school? A lab with 100 raspberry pi?
I am just trying to understand how a network for 100 or more devices cannot afford a decent machine.

GrueMaster

Post by GrueMaster » February 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm

You can buy a decent rig for a few hundred dollars. Ideally, you will want a system with a more recent processor that has AES if you are doing any type of encryption (VPN, etc). I'm not sure how the core count factors in here yet, but the more services you run, the more threads are required (not 1:1, but task switching is much improved with a 4 core vs 1 core with hyperthreading for example). 64bit vs 32bit means that it can process data faster per clock (and most compilers will give you much better optimized code in general due to lowest common HW compatibility).

You don't need a high end graphics card, nor do you need a very large drive (two of the biggest cost factors). You can probably get by with 4G of memory, but most systems have 8G minimum (which is still fairly cheap). If you already have a system, swap the motherboard, processor, and memory. Latest mid-grade ITX will set you back ~$300, and won't require a new chassis or heavy duty power supply. Some motherboards also come with dual 1G nics built in, along with Wifi, so you can setup red/green/blue networks without additional hardware.

hasseman

Post by hasseman » September 10th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Deepcuts wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 5:23 pm
Just out of curiosity: is it for an office network? A neighborhood network? A school? A lab with 100 raspberry pi?
I am just trying to understand how a network for 100 or more devices cannot afford a decent machine.
Hi. No. Its not for a office network. I am member in a LAN party association and sometime we have some "mini LAN".
Cause my "router" is a desktop (not a tower) it could be ideal to use.
I actuly found some memory so hopefully i can uppgrade to 4 gb instead of 2.

Can it handle it?

hasseman

Post by hasseman » September 10th, 2018, 3:15 pm

GrueMaster wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 9:15 pm
You can buy a decent rig for a few hundred dollars. Ideally, you will want a system with a more recent processor that has AES if you are doing any type of encryption (VPN, etc). I'm not sure how the core count factors in here yet, but the more services you run, the more threads are required (not 1:1, but task switching is much improved with a 4 core vs 1 core with hyperthreading for example). 64bit vs 32bit means that it can process data faster per clock (and most compilers will give you much better optimized code in general due to lowest common HW compatibility).

You don't need a high end graphics card, nor do you need a very large drive (two of the biggest cost factors). You can probably get by with 4G of memory, but most systems have 8G minimum (which is still fairly cheap). If you already have a system, swap the motherboard, processor, and memory. Latest mid-grade ITX will set you back ~$300, and won't require a new chassis or heavy duty power supply. Some motherboards also come with dual 1G nics built in, along with Wifi, so you can setup red/green/blue networks without additional hardware.
Unfortanly i dont have the money for it. Even if it is cheap for many, its not for me. I just want to se what i can get with the hardware i have.