IPFire and Windows Server Setup

General questions.
ramses2010

IPFire and Windows Server Setup

Post by ramses2010 » June 18th, 2018, 7:29 am

Aloha,

What is the best way to configure IPfire to have it work with Windows Server?

I would like to place my domain server behind the firewall, but have clients outside the firewall. Id like the clients to connect outside of the firewall. Clients need to have access to DNS, Active Diretory, File Resources, Domain resources, etc.

Is there a way/guide to do this?
What type of ports should I forward?
or is there a way to- specify IP adresses or MAC addresses from my clients to be let through the firewall and into the specific Server?

Thank you for your help!
Francis

coffeemachine

Re: IPFire and Windows Server Setup

Post by coffeemachine » June 25th, 2018, 8:24 pm

ramses2010 wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 7:29 am
I would like to place my domain server behind the firewall, but have clients outside the firewall. Id like the clients to connect outside of the firewall. Clients need to have access to DNS, Active Diretory, File Resources, Domain resources, etc.
what do you think about connecting the external systems via vpn?

greetings coffeemachine
--
war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength
--
IDS (on RED); Guardian; Pi-hole; OVPN (RW+N2N); QoS; 400/50Mbit (DOCSIS)

dilse

Re: IPFire and Windows Server Setup

Post by dilse » June 27th, 2018, 12:26 pm

ramses2010 wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 7:29 am
Aloha,

What is the best way to configure IPfire to have it work with Windows Server?

Is there a way/guide to do this?
What type of ports should I forward?
or is there a way to- specify IP adresses or MAC addresses from my clients to be let through the firewall and into the specific Server?

Thank you for your help!
Francis
This is possible. I use to have a IPfire sitting between 2 domains, you need to go through the Microsoft guides for AD common ports, and open the required ports to/from GREEN<>RED. If you find you have missed some ports, or things don't work, just check the firewall log to see what is being dropped, and add further ports if required.