How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

General questions.
Hellfire
Posts: 697
Joined: November 8th, 2015, 8:54 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Hellfire » October 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm

MichaelTremer wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Yes you can suggest that, but the answer is unfortunately no. The forum is going to be taken offline as soon as we can and we should not use it as a reference because those will all be pointing into the dark.
Nooo, don't do that! We will loose many good postings and comprehensive examples and even if it gets outdated someday, the forum is still good source for beginners. I've indeed bookmarked many threads and put links of this forum into my own documentations that won't work anymore.

Why not just set this forum into read-only mode?

Michael
Image

User avatar
MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer
Posts: 5799
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 9:02 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by MichaelTremer » October 30th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Hello,
Hellfire wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm
Nooo, don't do that! We will loose many good postings and comprehensive examples and even if it gets outdated someday, the forum is still good source for beginners. I've indeed bookmarked many threads and put links of this forum into my own documentations that won't work anymore.

Why not just set this forum into read-only mode?
Of course we will set it into read-only mode for a year or something around that time, but it won't be around for forever.

I know that there is a lot of knowledge on these pages, but at the same time there is also a lot of really outdated stuff that is leading people into hours of debugging for no reason. The wiki needs to be improved and that should be the knowledge base first of all.

There is a post about the schedule of the migration which we will post on the blog on Monday: https://community.ipfire.org/t/welcome- ... -portal/24
Support the project with our Donation Challenge!

Get Commercial Support for IPFire and more from Lightning Wire Labs!

Image

User avatar
Deepcuts
Posts: 461
Joined: March 1st, 2016, 3:18 pm
Location: Romania

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Deepcuts » October 30th, 2019, 6:33 pm

I ain't so much of an IPFire user anymore, but damn, Discourse?
I haven't seen a shittier forum format since dark ages.
Image
Image

User avatar
MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer
Posts: 5799
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 9:02 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by MichaelTremer » October 30th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Deepcuts wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 6:33 pm
I ain't so much of an IPFire user anymore, but damn, Discourse?
I haven't seen a shittier forum format since dark ages.
Thank you for your great contribution to this conversation. You will see in this thread that we have evaluated many others and asked members of the community to put forward any of their favourites.

You will also see that we are aware of many downsides of Discourse, but I guess you never get anything without any disadvantages.
Support the project with our Donation Challenge!

Get Commercial Support for IPFire and more from Lightning Wire Labs!

Image

Hellfire
Posts: 697
Joined: November 8th, 2015, 8:54 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Hellfire » October 30th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Deepcuts wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 6:33 pm
I ain't so much of an IPFire user anymore, but damn, Discourse?
I haven't seen a shittier forum format since dark ages.
I can't agree because there a lot of other forum software that are much more worse than Discourse. Discourse is certainly different from well known forum software like phpBB and others, but IMO a good trade-off between classical forums and community driven web sites.
Image

SeregaKRYL
Posts: 15
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 5:47 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by SeregaKRYL » October 30th, 2019, 7:09 pm

So the new url will be people.ipfire.org. School we register again?
P. S. Never used discourse

Hellfire
Posts: 697
Joined: November 8th, 2015, 8:54 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Hellfire » October 30th, 2019, 7:12 pm

The registration page seems to be https://people.ipfire.org at least I managed to create a new account there. The new community itself is located here https://community.ipfire.org/ and needs a successful registration from the first link.

If you would like to add a forum avatar you again need the first link, at least I didn't find another preference within the community to set up one. You need logout and login again into community for the avatar to get visible.
Image

SeregaKRYL
Posts: 15
Joined: November 9th, 2017, 5:47 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by SeregaKRYL » October 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm

I get either error 400 or 401. Besides everything loads for 2 minutes

Hellfire
Posts: 697
Joined: November 8th, 2015, 8:54 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Hellfire » October 30th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Works here, just checked!

OTH had this loading time previously, too, just refreshed the browser using CTRL+R (Firefox) and could log into peoples.ipfire.org
Image

User avatar
MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer
Posts: 5799
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 9:02 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by MichaelTremer » October 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Hellfire wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:12 pm
The registration page seems to be https://people.ipfire.org at least I managed to create a new account there. The new community itself is located here https://community.ipfire.org/ and needs a successful registration from the first link.

If you would like to add a forum avatar you again need the first link, at least I didn't find another preference within the community to set up one. You need logout and login again into community for the avatar to get visible.
people.ipfire.org is the place where we have all accounts now and where everyone can manage them. It is a great portal and does many other things. In the background we have an LDAP server and Kerberos which also does the whole authentication for the rest of our infrastructure.

community.ipfire.org is where Discourse is. When you want to log in you will be redirected to the right place.

All other things that we have (Bugzilla, Patchwork, VoIP, Jabber and so on) are all connected to the people.ipfire.org authentication system.
SeregaKRYL wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm
I get either error 400 or 401. Besides everything loads for 2 minutes
Can you please report and such problems to Bugzilla? I suppose you have JS on? You already have an account there now.
Support the project with our Donation Challenge!

Get Commercial Support for IPFire and more from Lightning Wire Labs!

Image

User avatar
Roberto Peña
Posts: 761
Joined: July 16th, 2014, 3:56 pm
Location: Bilbao (España)
Contact:

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Roberto Peña » October 31st, 2019, 6:44 am

To put a bug or a problem (if so) is that the pages can not be placed in Google Translator. You try to translate them in the Google translator and it doesn't show you anything.

Those of us with language problems were very helpful to be able to use Google Translator as an aid.

Maybe the new platform allows you to add a translator to help people like me.

Regards.
Image
Image

╔════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Donate to improve IPFire: https://www.ipfire.org/donate
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hellfire
Posts: 697
Joined: November 8th, 2015, 8:54 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by Hellfire » October 31st, 2019, 11:19 am

MichaelTremer wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm
All other things that we have (Bugzilla, Patchwork, VoIP, Jabber and so on) are all connected to the people.ipfire.org authentication system.
SeregaKRYL wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm
I get either error 400 or 401. Besides everything loads for 2 minutes
Can you please report and such problems to Bugzilla? I suppose you have JS on? You already have an account there now.
LOL. How should he report this bug if peoples.ipfire.org causes this 400 on his side and he cannot create an account? ;D
Image

User avatar
MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer
Posts: 5799
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 9:02 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by MichaelTremer » October 31st, 2019, 11:22 am

Hellfire wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 11:19 am
MichaelTremer wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm
All other things that we have (Bugzilla, Patchwork, VoIP, Jabber and so on) are all connected to the people.ipfire.org authentication system.
SeregaKRYL wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm
I get either error 400 or 401. Besides everything loads for 2 minutes
Can you please report and such problems to Bugzilla? I suppose you have JS on? You already have an account there now.
LOL. How should he report this bug if peoples.ipfire.org causes this 400 on his side and he cannot create an account? ;D
By entering the correct password :)
Support the project with our Donation Challenge!

Get Commercial Support for IPFire and more from Lightning Wire Labs!

Image

DJ-Melo
Posts: 678
Joined: July 8th, 2014, 7:12 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by DJ-Melo » October 31st, 2019, 11:24 am

I could successfully create an account this morning. This was allowed, however, no special characters like - included. the singlesign on for all services does not work here though bugzilla claims not to know the account created under people.ipfire.org.

User avatar
MichaelTremer
Core Developer
Core Developer
Posts: 5799
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 9:02 am

Re: How can we improve the IPFire Forums?

Post by MichaelTremer » October 31st, 2019, 11:24 am

DJ-Melo wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 11:24 am
I could successfully create an account this morning. This was allowed, however, no special characters like - included. the singlesign on for all services does not work here though bugzilla claims not to know the account created under people.ipfire.org.
Why did you create two accounts?
Support the project with our Donation Challenge!

Get Commercial Support for IPFire and more from Lightning Wire Labs!

Image

Post Reply