DHCP page - Hostname

General questions.
renatohtpc

DHCP page - Hostname

Post by renatohtpc » September 4th, 2018, 1:30 pm

As a legacy IPCop user who has migrated to ipFire, I noticed that the DHCP page does not allow for the "hostname" to be entered and/or displayed.

These are the only fields present.
MAC Address IP address Remark next-server filename root path Action

Is there a way to add the hostname to the gui?

Thanks
Renato

fkienker

Re: DHCP page - Hostname

Post by fkienker » September 4th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Once upon a time, in IPFire the first field, terminated by the first space in the Remarks field for each fixed lease was used to set the hostname. According to the IPFire wiki it is still the case, but I can tell you from experience it doesn't work or doesn't work reliably. I had done a mod for IPCop years ago to do the function you refer to and had been doing the same mod for IPFire, but stopped when it switched from dnsmasq to unbound. It is now a bigger task to do this for IPFire with unbound because of the changes under the hood. Plus IPFire is very actively maintained, a good thing, but this means reintegrating the mod each time it updates.

The developers recommend just adding the hostname to the Hosts section just like we used to do in IPCop many years ago.

Best regards,
Fred

zargano

Post by zargano » September 4th, 2018, 4:09 pm

fkienker wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 2:58 pm
The developers recommend just adding the hostname to the Hosts section just like we used to do in IPCop many years ago.
Being a recent migrant from IPCop to IPFire, I have done exactly this. And it works perfectly. And this was also the method I used to practice on IPCop, which worked there perfectly as well.

It might be a little bit more convenient to have everything on one (i.e. DHCP) page, but personally I don't see an urgent need for any mod of the DHCP page.

Regards, zargano

JonM

Post by JonM » September 4th, 2018, 5:24 pm

I am a recent migrant from IPCop to IPFire also. I use the Remark field as the hostname and that has worked very well for me. None of my Remarks/hostnames have spaces. (I would prefer a true hostname field in the DHCP configuration section)

EDIT: Added wiki link:
https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/n ... hcp#remark
Production:

Testing Raspi 3B+:

fkienker

Post by fkienker » September 5th, 2018, 2:19 am

You will find, eventually, issues with this. In particular, IoT devices have a tendency to "behave badly'. But over time, it will happen to all of the DHCP hosts. it's used to be tolerable with dnsmasq, but just simply doesn't work well at all with the change to unbound. Entering the hostnames in the hosts table, as the developers strongly recommend, it the only reliable way.

The simple way to test this is to ping various fixed leased hosts. At some point in time, they will start failing and will continue to fail until unbound is restarted. It is a particular nuisance with a Samba network since it fails quite randomly and reliable DNS is critical to proper Samba operation. In addition, when supporting large numbers of hosts on many networks using IPFire DHCP, not having a separate hostname field is a *real* pain. A remarks field is critical for being able to document hosts on these networks, and the hostname should not be wrapped up in it.

Having used IPFire for many years I have come to the conclusion that, at least for our uses, it simply can't be trusted. YMMV