Intel NIC keeps crashing after core 126 update

General questions.
JensP

Intel NIC keeps crashing after core 126 update

Post by JensP » January 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Hi, -

Since installing the 126 core update, my Intel 82566MM NIC using the e1000e driver crashes every few seconds. Web pages can be loaded with difficulty, but downloading files bigger than about 1MB is nearly impossible. With this hardware being fairly common, I suspect I'm not the only one affected.
What to do?

BR
Jens
DSC_0370s.JPG

JensP

Re: Intel NIC keeps crashing after core 126 update

Post by JensP » January 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm

As a work-around, I have procured a USB-NIC based on the Asix AX88179 chip, to replace the computers built-in NIC.
It feels a tad dodgy to have red, green, and blue traffic all going through the same USB2 controller. I have not actually measured the speeds attainable with this setup, but at least it seems stable.

Obviously, I'd prefer a core update that would allow the computers built-in Intel Pro/1000 (82566MM) to function again. Any plans to look into that?

BR
Jens

EGRES

Post by EGRES » January 21st, 2019, 12:59 pm

Had similar problem with an older intel pcie nic (GbE CT desktop adapter 82574L chipset).
Sometimes had to restart the entire machine to get the nic to work again.
Disabling PCIe ASPM in bios did help in my case.

And also as my card is the red interface, I have this line in my /etc/sysconfig/rc.local
ethtool -K red0 gso off gro off tso off sg off

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » January 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm

Sorry there are no upstream fix available for e1000e nic series, the last changes for linux 4.14 are done in 4.14.72 and they are already included in the ipfire kernel.
https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel ... og-4.14.72
After this the e1000e is untouched until current 4.14.94

and as EGRES already written in the most cases this error is a result of a irq/msi or aspm (power management) handling which is initialised by the bios.

If you google for "e1000e tx hung" you find many sites with this problem and work arounds because there is no real solution than a bios fix.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » January 21st, 2019, 10:24 pm

Although I don't have an e1000, the descriptor for "ASPM" in PCI-E settings of the UEFI setup screen of one of my mainboards informs:
"enabling ASPM may cause some PCI-E devices to fail" The UEFI is from AMI.

A possible work around for the e1000 problem is to disable ASPM in BIOS/UEFI settings. Downside might be limited in IPFire, which is continually receiving unsolicitied Internet traffic, that might not enable many devices to go to idle state. As long as CPU freq is activated, considerable power savings could still be achieved with some CPU.

JensP

Post by JensP » February 7th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Guys, thanks for your comments.

I sensed a lull in the network traffic, so I figured it was time to take another look at the situation.

I installed core 127, and looked into the BIOS setup. My IPFire runs on an old laptop which, in its heyday, had professional aspirations. It has a whiff of seriousness about it, which means that, in spite of the plethora of options, there is not actually all that much interesting stuff to do in the BIOS setup. I found four settings to do with power management (Intel speed step, CPU power management, PCI bus power management, PCI Express power management) and switched them off. I did not find a setting for NIC power management. With the four settings off, the internal NIC still did not work with IPFire. I switched them back on and reverted to the USB-NIC again. I guess I will be running that way for the time being.

BR
Jens