Resolving forum.ipfire.org randomly not working

General questions.
Deepcuts

Resolving forum.ipfire.org randomly not working

Post by Deepcuts » January 27th, 2019, 5:03 am

Randomly I have this problem that I cannot access https://forum.ipfire.org
If I ping ipfire.org 100% of the time it will resolve
If I ping forum.ipfire.org when I cannot load the website, I will get Ping request could not find host forum.ipfire.org. Please check the name and try again.

Without doing anything else, I will be able to access the forums after some time.
I am using the IPFire's local DNS on the client.
I don't know if someone is doing some maintenance on the name servers for ipfire.org or what is going on, but I have this problem for some time now. I would say 2 weeks or so.
Might be because the SOA Serial Number Format is Invalid in ipfire.org DNS server records?
Just an fyi.

Roberto Peña

Re: Resolving forum.ipfire.org randomly not working

Post by Roberto Peña » January 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Hello Deepcuts.

I just tell you that I have no problems. To me, works perfectly. I use Google DNS.

I do not know, try to change the DNS. Put them on your computer manually. Make a "tracert" to see who responds. If you have a router in front of the IPFire, connect a device directly to it to see if it works.

It's very weird.

Maybe someone can help you better.

Greetings and luck.

╔════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Donate to improve IPFire: https://www.ipfire.org/donate
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

rodneyp

Re: Resolving forum.ipfire.org randomly not working

Post by rodneyp » January 27th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Hi Deepcuts,

I have had similar issues over the last few weeks, although not in recent days, when I have been testing core 127.

I am in a time zone 11 hrs ahead of UTC Perhaps the server(s) have some brief daily period of unavailablity. Alternatively I might be trying to connect during a period of high activity.circa 22:00 UTC.

I am using DNS from the list of validating servers. I don't reboot IPFire often but one of the DNS servers can be discarded as "broken name server" during reboot.

None of the above is mission critical to me so I simply try again later - usually successfully.