Network configuration isn`t loading

General questions.
alexysvai22

Network configuration isn`t loading

Post by alexysvai22 » April 16th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Good evening everyone, I am trying to solve a problem with the network configuration of IpFire using the network interface. Actually I have the ipFire machine which is running on a vSphere server without DCHP capability so I have assigned the Red interface a static IP address. The red interface is connected to a vSwitch which is connected to a real network adapter and so it provides Internet connection, for the green interface I have again the connection to a virtual switch which is connected to a real network adapter and so connection to the internet but I have decided the ip address in the setup configuration. The web interface is accessed through another machine which is connected to the same network of the green interface and has access to the internet connection as well. Everything seems correct to me but I have a problem in loading the web interface to create firewall rules. Actually I get the following window.
Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me solve this mess. \
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png

MBrown

Re: Network configuration isn`t loading

Post by MBrown » April 16th, 2019, 9:44 pm

I'm new to IPFire so if I'm way off please excuse me... When I was testing out IPfire builds before actually replacing my current firewall I ran into this type of problem. My issue was that my RED network, while configured to a valid interface and given a valid IP address, was not connected to a live network connection. Once I connected the RED network to a connection where it could actually talk to its gateway the webpage in your picture filled out to what I would expect.

GeoKen

Post by GeoKen » May 9th, 2019, 10:09 am

I have just installed IPFire. When I try to add new Firewall rules get the same screen that you attached. Source only and no way to enter a rule.
Is there a pre-requisite step in the installation and configuration that initiates the NAT, Destination, etc?
I can't find it in the documentation.
Thanks

OdonGarma

Post by OdonGarma » May 9th, 2019, 10:21 am

This is a common and known issue!

the whole ipfire Box need to be only at least once to download the Maxmind GeoDB.

If this DB is missing you get this result.

if the download is complete the firewall rules will be displayed correctly!

Greetz
Hardware: APU.3C4 (4.10.0.0), AMD GX-412TC SOC x4, 4GB-RAM, 32GB mSata SSD, 3x Intel I211 NIC
Modem: ZyXEL VMG1312-B VPN: IPSec (n2n), OpenVPN (Roadwarrior)

GeoKen

Post by GeoKen » May 9th, 2019, 11:13 am

Thanks OdonGarma. The box is connected to the Internet but the issue persists. How to force the DB to download?
It maybe a common and known issue but it took a bit of looking to find it. The Op who started this tread didn't know either.
Thanks for your help.

OdonGarma

Post by OdonGarma » May 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

there is a script "99-geoip-database" under "etc/rc.d/init.d/networking/red.up" which should do the job

Greetz
Hardware: APU.3C4 (4.10.0.0), AMD GX-412TC SOC x4, 4GB-RAM, 32GB mSata SSD, 3x Intel I211 NIC
Modem: ZyXEL VMG1312-B VPN: IPSec (n2n), OpenVPN (Roadwarrior)