IPoE

General questions.
dnl

IPoE

Post by dnl » June 30th, 2019, 11:51 am

Hi all,

My ISP suggests using IPoE with no VLAN ID. (I assume this means the default VLAN ID is needed?)
I must use their modem, which supports bridging, so how do I configure IPFire? (The "VDSL" setting doesn't quite seem right)

I've found a few different references to IPoE in these forums but didn't find any clear answers. In one Arne.F sent a link to the VLAN documentation, but I am not clear on how that helps me configure the RED interface as I apparently don't need to set the VLAN ID on that interface.
How is authentication with the ISP configured?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: adding reference URL
Last edited by dnl on July 2nd, 2019, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
IPFire 2.x (Latest Update) on x86_64 Intel Bay Trail CPU, 4GiB RAM, RED + GREEN + BLUE + ORANGE

dnl

Re: IPoE

Post by dnl » July 2nd, 2019, 10:57 am

It sounds like IPFire calls "IPoE" "VDSL". However it talks about using PPPoE when my reading of the detail is that IPoE doesn't have the PPPoE overhead - just authentication on a specific VLAN. (Eg https://networkengineering.stackexchang ... ly-is-ipoe)

Is anyone able to clarify please? I'll update the wiki when I understand myself.

Thank you

EDIT: On further reading it sounds like I should just be able to set up the RED interface for DHCP and forget about all the "PPP Dialup" options. Could someone please confirm this for me?
IPFire 2.x (Latest Update) on x86_64 Intel Bay Trail CPU, 4GiB RAM, RED + GREEN + BLUE + ORANGE

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » July 2nd, 2019, 11:31 am

The VDSL Option is PPPoE over VLAN not IPoE.

IPoE (IPoverEthernet) is the normal Protokol also in the LAN's.
Most IPoE providers use DHCP to configure the clients.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

dnl

Post by dnl » July 2nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Arne.F wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 11:31 am
The VDSL Option is PPPoE over VLAN not IPoE.

IPoE (IPoverEthernet) is the normal Protokol also in the LAN's.
Most IPoE providers use DHCP to configure the clients.
Thank you very much!!

When I have a chance, I'll put the term "ipoe" in the appropriate wiki page with a brief explanation so others don't have the same confusion.