Missing default Gateway IP on Green interface

General questions.
tpeaua

Missing default Gateway IP on Green interface

Post by tpeaua » October 21st, 2019, 1:38 am

Hi everyone,

I've created iPFire on an ESXI 6.7 box for friends office. They called me saying that they are getting the yellow icon on their Win10 machines. I setup OpenVPN on the iPfire and connected threw TunnellBlick client successfully to their client. I went their and noticed that the VM servers could connect successfully to the outside internet but everyone else not on the VM got yellow network error. I also noticed that I couldn't ping the default gateway from any of the devices with the yellow error's for IP of the green interface. The only way to fix it was by rebooting the whole VM server. I tried rebooting the FW and the network services to no avail. Really need help if anyone has run into this issue. Thanks again for your help.

P.S.
DHCP / DNS are done on Windows DC's, I could vpn into the vm box using open vpn on the FW but couldn't ping any of the machines on the network not on the VM. Thanks again.

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: Missing default Gateway IP on Green interface

Post by Arne.F » October 21st, 2019, 2:57 am

Check the DHCP Server settings. The DHCP must set the ROUTERS field to the green IP to configure the default gateway if DHCP is used on the clients.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

tpeaua

Post by tpeaua » October 21st, 2019, 4:22 am

Hi Arne, thanks for the reply, yes the green IP is setup as the router on the DHCP servers.

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » October 21st, 2019, 5:34 am

Then the clients should use this as defaultroute/gateway . Is there more than one DHCP server ?
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

tpeaua

Post by tpeaua » October 21st, 2019, 8:28 pm

There are two DHCP servers that have the router IP configured as 192.168.1.1 / 24 which is also the IP of the green interface. It would work for say an hour or so then the client machines would get the yellow network error and then the only fix would be to reboot the VM server. I've disabled the iPfire and the network is running with no issues. I've re-installed it in case if it was a bad install but still the same thing. I've noticed that I couldn't ping the Default Gateway on the yellow network error machines. Thanks again for your help.

Yes, the DHCP servers give out the 192.168.1.1 as the Default Gateway on all the machines.

I've been using the VM Port group which is the main one, Right now I have one port group for RED on its own NIC but I've been using the main one for the Green. The RED interface NIC is dual so I will use the other one for the GREEN interface creating GREEN port group. Hopefully this works, if anyone has any ideas would be great. Thanks again.

tpeaua

Re: Solved: Re: Missing default Gateway IP on Green interface

Post by tpeaua » November 6th, 2019, 3:54 am

I solved this issue, I created both a new Virtual Switch and Virtual Port group for the Green Interface. I was using the default vSwitch0 and port Group (VM Network). So in essence I have a virtual switch and port for both RED and GREEN interfaces on their own specific NIC's. This is running on ESXi 6.7 box like a charm.