Feature request: Support WiFi range extenders

Help on building IPFire & Feature Requests
b3ta

Feature request: Support WiFi range extenders

Post by b3ta » November 3rd, 2018, 3:17 pm

Hi,

My other post / cry for help has the story (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21811), but the request is to support WiFi range extenders.

Only upon carefully examining /var/log/messages did I discover the problem: packets were being dropped from blue devices on the other side of the range extender because they were being presented to the firewall as <range extender MAC><device IP> as opposed to <device MAC><device IP>.

The weird thing is that the DHCP server happily assigns the correct fixed IP based on the device MAC, even though the DHCP request emanates from the other side of the range extender.

My attempt at a work-around completely screwed up things, so now I can't add any blue devices to the firewall for Internet access, which is a real problem.

I understand that some data representation would need to change, but the essence is not to assume that a MAC address can only refer to a singe IP address. I also understand that WDS is designed to "fix" this, but that it comes at the cost of halving the throughput at each WDS hop and also that only static WEP keys may then be used.

8-)
John

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: Feature request: Support WiFi range extenders

Post by Arne.F » November 4th, 2018, 10:11 am

Mac filtering is not possible with some range extenders because they generate new addresses (in different ways) to relay the traffic. If you use such devices you can only disable the filter and have too live without detailed filtering on the wlan because also the dhcp server assing different ips to the same device. This cannot fixed in IPFire because the network packets are already messed up before they reach the IPFire...
Arne

Support the project on the IPFire whishlist!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

b3ta

Re: Feature request: Support WiFi range extenders

Post by b3ta » November 5th, 2018, 12:15 pm

I'll do further investigation using Wireshark, as I have an idea which (if I'm correct) shouldn't be too difficult to implement and which would increase IPFire's flexibility greatly.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment to do this, so might only be able to take it further when next on leave. Should I post here, or start another thread at that time?