Building Let's Encrypt for ipfire and questions about building addons

Help on building IPFire & Feature Requests
John.Doe

Building Let's Encrypt for ipfire and questions about building addons

Post by John.Doe » December 30th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of building let's encrypt in my ipfire development environment and was wondering about the best approach, especially considering that it should result in a package for ipfire (if all goes well that is). I'm using nginx as a reverse proxy that serves a couple of different backend sites (seafile, tiny tiny RSS, etc.), so it would be great to have certs from let's encrypt.

But since let's encrypt requires a couple of additional packages, I'm not sure about the best approach here.

- Should each of the dependent packages be built as a separate addon or should everything be included in one addon?
- If it is just one addon, what is best practice? Update the package if one of the dependent packages gets an update?
- Some of the packages are supposed to be installed through pip, virtualenv for example. What is the best approach here? Should it be included as an addon for ipfire? I'm not sure what is considered best practice when building addons that are dependent on packages through pip. I only found one post on the forum mentioning that it is possible to install pip, but nothing in terms of building addons.

So, any advice on this would be highly appreciated.

WhyTea
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Building Let's Encrypt for ipfire and questions about building addons

Post by WhyTea » January 6th, 2016, 7:17 am

John.Doe wrote: - Should each of the dependent packages be built as a separate addon or should everything be included in one addon?
Every packages need his own gitbranch. Even if it is only a dependency of an other.
If you like to support us, please contribute by donating.

My IPFire@Home - always in stable-tree
Libvirt, Squid, Squidclamav, URL-Filter, OpenVPN, Samba, Cups, Transmission

My 2nd - always in testing-tree

Squid, Squidclamav, URL-Filter, Update-Accelerator, OpenVPN, WLAN-AP, Transmission

Vossi

Post by Vossi » August 15th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Hi John,

what is happend with your project? Did you get let's encrypt working on your IpFire?

I'm looking for a solution like you with nginx as a reverse proxy for a couple of websites....like you did. It would be interesting for me to hear your experiences.

Vossi

John.Doe

Post by John.Doe » August 15th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Hey Vossi,

to be honest, I abandoned this approach pretty quickly and honestly forgot that I posted here. Since the actual websites are not hosted on the machine running ipfire, but rather on a separate machine running debian and the fact that I switched to docker images, it was easier for me to just use this approach.

Sorry for the bad news :)

Vossi

Post by Vossi » August 26th, 2017, 12:13 pm

I found a solution by using a little script called acme.sh.
Look for Example 3 in the wiki and enjoy!

http://wiki.ipfire.org/nginx/start

Vossi