Feedback on 4.14 kernels for IPfire

Help on building IPFire & Feature Requests
firewell

Feedback on 4.14 kernels for IPfire

Post by firewell » June 1st, 2018, 12:14 pm

Greetings, first post for me. I just wanted to post some feedback using the 4.14 Kernel that Arne F has uploaded to his IPFire profile.

For me, this has been working very well and it has allowed me to use newer hardware that was not running well on the older 3.14 kernel. I recently built a new firewall based on a Celeron J3455 SoC chipset, and this is only supported on the more recent kernels. I was able to get the system to boot Core120 IPfire 64bit, but the response was very sluggish, even typing a command via the keyboard would show lag in the input speed. System response was very poor. It took almost an hour just to get IPFire installed and configured, something that usually takes 5 minutes on a system running normally.

Once IPfire was installed, I downloaded the latest 4.14.44 kernel and installed it using the following:

Code: Select all

wget https://people.ipfire.org/~arne_f/highly-experimental/kernel/linux-4.14.44-ipfire-x86_64.tar.xz
tar xvf linux-4.14.44-ipfire-x86_64.tar.xz -C /
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Now my system is running very well! It boots quickly and the responsiveness is very fast. Thank you Arne for making these updated kernels available, it allows newer hardware to be useful with IPFire!