Feature request - "at" command

Help on building IPFire & Feature Requests
RedneckMother

Feature request - "at" command

Post by RedneckMother » October 14th, 2019, 7:17 pm

I suggest inclusion of "at" in the IPFire distro. My (one and only available) ISP has onerous download caps. The ISP provides a late night "bonus" (bone us? :) ) period, and I'd like to schedule IPFire upgrades (and resulting downloads) via commmand line use of pakfire during those periods.

Thanks for your consideration!

Roberto Peña

Re: Feature request - "at" command

Post by Roberto Peña » October 15th, 2019, 7:02 am

Good morning RedneckMother.

I can think of a temporary solution that can serve you. This solution is to use the IpFIRE fcrontab.

The files are in "/var/spool/cron" and the file to be modified is "root.orig" since the other one is encrypted (I think).

Well, by https://crontab-generator.org/ you generate the task and add it in "root.orig".

* The programming you want.
* Command to execute: pakfire update --force && pakfire list
* How to Handle Execution Output -> Save output to file: /var/log/pakfire.log

If you do it every day at 00:00 (midnight) it would look like this: 0 0 * * * pakfire update --force && pakfire list> /var/log/pakfire.log

Now, with WINSCP you edit the file "root.orig" and put this line in "# Do all jobs in this directories":
fcrontab.jpg
You save the changes and from ssh (putty) you do "fcrontab -e" and then, :wq and enter. With this you generate the task correctly in the "root" file.

If you want to see how it looks, run fcrontab -l

If you want to see the result of the execution, you have to see the file "/var/log/pakfire.log".

The nice thing would be that in "Network -> Connection Scheduler" allow a little more flexibility and be able to generate these tasks visually.

Hope this can help you.

Regards.

╔════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Donate to improve IPFire: https://www.ipfire.org/donate
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

BeBiMa

Post by BeBiMa » October 15th, 2019, 9:36 am

Just for comment:
fcrontab -e can be used to do the whole job.
And it is more complete! You do not need to know, where the tab is stored. fcrontab with option -e just opens the right file in the editor and restarts if modifications were done.
Unitymedia Cable Internet ( 32MBit )

RedneckMother

Post by RedneckMother » October 15th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Howdy... thanks for recommending fcrontab... I had already considered it as a temporary solution.

This isn't the first application for which I've missed having "at", though.

Perhaps I'll have a better ISP (speed, latency, and no %^&#@!* data caps) available some bright day in the future, and won't have to jump through so many flaming hoops.

Thanks again for the comments.

Paul