PPPoE VLAN and Static IP

richs

PPPoE VLAN and Static IP

Post by richs » June 29th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Am trying to configure the Red interface for use on a fibre broadband connection.

The ISP requires a PPPoE connection on VLAN 10. The only option - "VDSL", under the "Dialup" setup, allows this, but I have no way of configuring a static IP there.

Can anyone offer a suitable modification to a startup script to work around this?

Thanks,

Richard

zargano

Re: PPPoE VLAN and Static IP

Post by zargano » June 30th, 2018, 4:06 pm

You are searching at the wrong place :-}

On the console, login as user root. Then execute setup , got to network configuration and configure the red interface. Here you can configure either PPPoE, static IP, DHCP, ... for the red interface.

richs

Post by richs » June 30th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Unless I have missed something, this does not help me.

If I choose the "Static" option, there is no access to the "Dialup" section in the Web GUI, which is required to setup PPPoE.

If I choose "PPPoE" in setup, (which I have done), I end up with the situation as I pointed out in my original post - I cannot set a static IP.

zargano

Post by zargano » June 30th, 2018, 8:23 pm

OK, understood...

I tweaked my IPFire to get access to my DSL modem. To achieve that, I added an additional red IP address.

Here is an older post which might help: viewtopic.php?t=7143 This is pretty much what I have done to get access to my DSL modem.

Regards, zargano

richs

Post by richs » June 30th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll need to mess with some scripts.

Regards,

Richard

zargano

Post by zargano » July 1st, 2018, 8:30 am

Scripts are not necessarily required...

First try, whether this works:

Code: Select all

ip addr add 192.168.178.33/24 dev red0
Adapt the IP address as well as network mask to whatever is required. To remove this additional IP address, do

Code: Select all

ip addr del 192.168.178.33/24 dev red0
If it works, then add the code to /etc/sysconfig/firewall.local. Choose the start block for the first code fragment, and the stop block for the second.

richs

Post by richs » July 1st, 2018, 7:36 pm

My only concern with this approach, is that outlined by Arne in the second post to the older thread you referred to:

"A additional IP is a security problem because all services on the IPCop/IPFire was reachable on the cable between modem and IPCop/IPFire and also on the ISP Side before the PPPoE Concentrator."

I'm not confident enough in my iptables skills that I'll be able to secure this adequately and still allow it to be publically accessable - there will be servers on ORANGE that need to be available.

zargano

Post by zargano » July 1st, 2018, 7:57 pm

I would argue: if you need a static IP address for your fiber line to become online, you can't get around having a static IP...

I don't see why this method of assigning an additional IP address is unsecure per se.

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » July 2nd, 2018, 1:25 pm

The ISP requires a PPPoE connection on VLAN 10. The only option - "VDSL", under the "Dialup" setup, allows this, but I have no way of configuring a static IP there.
The IP of a PPPoE connection is configured by the ISP at connection establishing. If you have purchased a static IP you should get this at connecting.

The traffic of an additional IP added to red is not running through the PPPoE connection. This is usefull for accessing Configpages of some modems but some security implications.
Arne

Support the project on the IPFire whishlist!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

richs

Post by richs » July 6th, 2018, 8:54 pm

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the reply.

I found out a few days after posting, that I had been misled by my ISP and that my static IP had not been configured, despite being told many times it had been.

Now that has been fixed, as you say, the PPPoE setup does negotiate the static, so all is well now.

Thanks for a nice project, I've moved here from IPCop, so the learning curve is small and so far, so good on a RED/GREEN/ORANGE/BLUE 2.21 Core Update 122 setup.