"Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default"
"dwmac.1c50000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete.....TIMEOUT!"
"dwmac.1c50000: No Link"
"missing environment variable: bootfile"

Any suggestions?

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Re: How to install IPFire on Banana-Pi R1?

Post by ummeegge » July 1st, 2016, 1:58 pm

Postponed thread to english section. Please post in the appropriate areas, thanks.

UE

Saiyato

Post by Saiyato » October 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for the great effort that has been put into this solution! It's really phenomenal!
I've been a happy user of ipfire for some time now and have successfully configured it to my needs on my Banana Pi R1 (lamobo).

This year version 2.21 has been released, the update contains some major changes that need re-imaging. Which of course is just a minor bump in the road, or at least, that's what I thought ;)

I downloaded both core 122 and 123, followed the instructions as outlined here, but I have no image on the serial connection. So I put the old sd-card back in to verify that it should show something, it does for version 2.19 (initially imaged as: ipfire-2.19.1gb-ext4-scon.armv5tel-full-core114.img).

I'm mainly a Windows user, so I needed to rig up my Kali laptop to perform the dd copy. I also tried the old image again on the new sd card, just to make sure the sd card isn't faulty.

As I'm understanding it, the dd command copies the content of the bin file to the root of the sdb3 partition? Is there some equivalent I can use under Windows, or should I stick to *nix?

I mounted sdb3 as rw ->

Code: Select all

mount -o rw /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sd
Then I copied the bin file ->

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb? bs=1K seek=8
I then umounted sdb3, mounted sdb1 and used nano to edit the uEnv.txt file.

But when I put in the sd card and plug the power cable, I get nothing, not even the flashing green light. Which seems to imply I did something wrong when imaging the sd card, but I can't figure out what exactly.

Responses may be in German as well if that's easier, I'm from the Netherlands, so I'm sure I can follow. :)

Thanks a million in advance!

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » October 9th, 2018, 11:41 pm

The absence of flashing LED indicates that the SD card is not booting. Try a different one.

I found that core 122 trashed the root file system on /dev/sda3 fairly quickly when used on Banana Pi

Saiyato

Post by Saiyato » October 10th, 2018, 6:47 am

Hi there,

Thanks for the tip, I've tried three SD cards since yesterday, all seem to fail when imaging 2.21, but succeed when using 2.19.
I'm afraid my process for the 2.21 version is faulty. :(

What does the question mark in the tutorial mean in the dd command?

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb? bs=1K seek=8
Does that mean it's using sdb3, because that's the partition that's mounted? Id est, can I use sdb3 as well?

And does it matter if I don't mount/unmount sdb1 on *nix for the uEnv.txt update, but on Windows, as it's FAT and easily readable?

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » October 10th, 2018, 10:47 am

The Bootloader must written before the first partition (on the main device) - https://wiki.ipfire.org/hardware/arm/lamobo/r1

If your card is in sdb it should be:
dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=1K seek=8
Arne

Support the project on the IPFire whishlist!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

Saiyato

Post by Saiyato » October 10th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying. I will try this when I get home tonight.

So the steps are:
1. Write the image to the SD card (either using win32diskimage/etcher/xzcat); this will write the partitions p1 and p3 on the SD card
2. Prepare the bootloader -> dd command
3. Update the uEnv; to load the correct device tree (blob = dtb)

Can I check somewhere that step 2, i.e. the copying of the bootloader, succeeded?

A little research, based on the keywords you gave me, learned that dd will be writing the u-boot bootloader to the first sectors of the SD card and are needed to boot the specific architecture (Allwinner SoC with sunxi in this case). But I can't find a source to help me check whether the boot sectors have been written successfully.

Source: http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_SD_card#Bootloader
and: http://linux-sunxi.org/Bootable_SD_card#SD_Card_Layout

Device tree explanation: http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... 1&seqNum=5

Saiyato

Post by Saiyato » October 10th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Awesome, I just successfully installed the new version, thanks for the help!

Writing the bootloader correctly was the culprit. Maybe a good idea to mention that the dd command writes the u-boot bootloader for tinkerers like myself that don't get that part? ::)

Just thinking out loud here obviously.

I will tend to configuration now, as there is some weird problem with a static IP on RED and my Fritzbox (connection refused/blocked and routed back to the FritzBox on port 8182). I read somewhere that it has to do with the Squid web proxy, I will post back in another thread (and first look up some threads).

Thanks again!