Router behind ipfire

axxic3

Router behind ipfire

Post by axxic3 » January 5th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I am trying to run IPfire at my home, using an older pc I have with two wired NICs setup for green and red networks. I have a wireless router on the green side that doesn't get an internet connection and serves both wired and wireless devices. The WAN connection from my modem connects to the red NIC where the router connects to the green NIC. I have set the default gateway on the router as the green interface IP on the firewall, and have the red interface set as DHCP. The firewall can ping websites but anything on the green side is unsuccessful. I also cannot get to the web interface using either ipfire.localdomain:444 or the same using the IP. What am I missing here? Thanks!

rodneyp

Re: Router behind ipfire

Post by rodneyp » January 6th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Using a router behind IPFire is likely to make network configuration more complex.

Can you simplify it, for the diagnosis stage, by replacing the router on green with a simple Ethernet switch ? If such is not readily available could you put the router on green temporarily into "DHCP disabled" mode ?

UAW-Chrysler NTC

Post by UAW-Chrysler NTC » January 9th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Likely that router you have not configured properly with the wifi capabilities.
You should try a switch as suggested because using one of those routers with wan and wifi as a switch can get tricky.
If you really want to have Wifi on your GREEN network just buy an access point and configure it.
Plug it in on the GREEN network and you will have wireless on GREEN.

Seem like that's what you want right :)

Do post your outcome
UAW-Chrysler NTC |Warren, Michigan, USA
IPFire 2.21 (x86_64) - Core Update 126

nickrobin007

Post by nickrobin007 » January 15th, 2019, 5:33 am

I have recently bought a Linksys router and installed it on my system and my system runs Windows 7 OS. I cannot install the router properly as it shows a compatibility issue with my system. I have searched this on how to reset linksys router and have applied all the tips they provided, but no result found. Can anybody suggest me some better support?

molisi.fifita

Post by molisi.fifita » January 16th, 2019, 11:44 pm

If you are trying to use the router as a switch + wireless access point then you should try to
1. disable the DHCP on your router
2. plug in the network cable from green interface to any of your Router LAN ports but not the WAN.
3. Enable the DHCP services from your firewall

done.

johnmike69

Post by johnmike69 » January 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm

@molisi

I am using Router, Wireless Repeater and Wireless access point then what should I do? I search hard for the solutions but fail. I also change modem with different third-party modems but still not found the solution can you please help me out.

molisi.fifita

Post by molisi.fifita » January 28th, 2019, 10:33 am

Can you access your firewall? (ipfire) via web and ssh?

axxic3

Post by axxic3 » February 8th, 2019, 6:40 am

Sorry for such a late reply, I got my setup working and it sounds very familiar to what johnmike69 is trying to do. I disabled dhcp on my wireless router, enabled it only as an access point. This point worried me because I wanted the ports on the router to still work, the access point mode allows them to still work. Connect GREEN ethernet from your ipfire setup to router LAN port, NOT the internet/WAN port. Then connect the RED port on ipfire setup to the modem. Set the dhcp server on the router as the ipfire IP. This fixed it for me. Thanks everyone for the support. Let me know if I can help anymore!