Unable to Install the system - 2.19 Core 117 [SOLVED]

dnl

Unable to Install the system - 2.19 Core 117 [SOLVED]

Post by dnl » January 26th, 2018, 4:14 am

I read Michael's blog "Meltdown/Spectre - The chaotic story" and though I really should rebuild on a 64-bit system. I had an older AMD based system spare and tried installing IPFire today, but installation keeps failing with the really unhelpful error message "Unable to Install the system".
I switched to the console with an open bash prompt, but cannot find any errors at all. dmesg gives no hints and I can't find any logs at all.

For the record the system is from 2009 (I love recycling with linux!) has an ASUS socket AM3 motherboard (AMD 785G) with AMD Athlon II X2 250, 8 GiB RAM and a 2 TiB WD hard disk. It had run Ubuntu 14.04 (mythbuntu) for many years without problem.

I searched here and found the "Unable to Install the system" Core 112 thread. I'm running a memory check and haven't found any faults yet and I tried forcibly disabling LBA for the hard disk in the BIOS but nothing changes.

I also tried installing IPFire to a second USB stick (it is booted from one) but that also fails.

Could someone please help me troubleshoot this? How am I supposed to diagnose it when there are no clear errors as to why it failed?

Thank you!
Last edited by dnl on January 26th, 2018, 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
IPFire 2.x (Latest Update) on x86_64 Intel Bay Trail CPU, 4GiB RAM, RED + GREEN + BLUE + ORANGE

dnl

Re: Unable to Install the system - 2.19 Core 117

Post by dnl » January 26th, 2018, 6:12 am

I was able to resolve this - corrupt install media.

I ran a memtest from the ipfire installer but after some minutes it froze. This seemed suspicious so I made a Fedora bootable USB stick and tried memtest from that. It passed. I then installed Fedora, which also worked.

I checked the md5 sums on the ipfire USB stick and they didn't match! The USB stick is new so I rewrote it using dd and verified the checksums from my workstation before doing the install. This passed and the install worked too.

(PS I wish ipfire would allow some basic control over partitioning. I prefer xfs and ipfire is allocating over 1.7TiB to /var! I would like to limit it to 50 GiB so I can transfer this to an old SSD in future. I'll have to connect the HDD to my workstation and rsync the content of /var, then delete and recreate it in a more sensible size)
IPFire 2.x (Latest Update) on x86_64 Intel Bay Trail CPU, 4GiB RAM, RED + GREEN + BLUE + ORANGE

dnl

Re: Unable to Install the system - 2.19 Core 117 [SOLVED]

Post by dnl » January 26th, 2018, 8:08 am

When I have a chance I'll update the https://wiki.ipfire.org/installation/wr ... lash-image wiki page to add instructions to check md5 checksum (mount the IPFire USB and check it with `md5sum -c md5sum.txt`.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » January 27th, 2018, 6:38 am

IPFire puts /var last. As you are comfortable with Linux you could use GParted or similar to shrink it as you wish. It does not accumulate many GB in a basic installation.

I have used Clonezilla to transfer IPFire to a smaller HDD - that would require cloning via partitions. It can also require using SuperGrub2 or similar, to get the first boot on the cloned disk

dnl

Post by dnl » January 27th, 2018, 8:14 am

Thank you.

I realise that and have previously transferred IPFire to different storage using 'dd'.

The issue is that I prefer the XFS filesystem and it cannot be shrunk only expanded. As 'dd' copies all blocks, even empty ones, I'll have to do an additional step and create a new /var which is small enough to fit on the destination drive.