Install IPFire from USB stick to apu2d4 via its USB 3.0 front panel over serial

cytopia

Install IPFire from USB stick to apu2d4 via its USB 3.0 front panel over serial

Post by cytopia » May 11th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Goal

* Copy IPFire install Image onto USB stick
* Insert bootable IPFire USB stick into front USB 3.0 slots of apu2d4 [1]
* Connect via serial console to apu2d4[1]
* Start installation via inserted USB stick (and actually see it via Serial console)
* Follow install instructions and install IPFire on mSATA SSD module (mounted on apu24d)

Approach (failed)

* USB Boot stick is prepared with IPFire x86_64
* Booting up apu2d4
* Connecting to it via Putty[2]
* Selecting USB MSC Crive JetFlash Transcent 2GB 8.07
* Message appears: Booting from Hard Disk...
* Nothing happens:
boot-ipfire.png
boot-ipfire.png (4.22 KiB) Viewed 2929 times

Questions

* Which install image should I actually choose for my goal: ISO vs Flash?
* Does it even work to boot from USB 3.0?
* Why do I not see any output?

[1] Version information: apu2d4

[url]https://pcengines.ch/apu2d4.htm

Code: Select all

PCEngines apu2
coreboot build 20170228
4080 MB ECC DRAM
SeaBIOS (version rel-1.10.0.1)
[2] Putty settings

Serial device: /dev/ttyUSB0
Flow Control:  None
Speed:         115200
Data bits:     8
Stop bits:     1

cfusco

Re: Install IPFire from USB stick to apu2d4 via its USB 3.0 front panel over serial

Post by cfusco » May 11th, 2019, 7:08 pm

I have an apu 2 and I did install IPFire successfully using a USB 3 stick. You need the ISO x86_64 image. My guess is that you did not flash correctly the USB image or in alternative the stick is creating problems (are you sure it is only 2 GB, it seems strangely low? Did you partition it?).

By the way, just in case you do not know this, you cannot simply copy the image on the stick. As you need a boot loader on the usb disk, the disk has to become a mirror of the ISO image, basically you need a software capable of "burning" the ISO to the disk like we used to do with a DVD/CD burner. In the linux /macos word you can use the dd utility to do that, however it's so much easier to use etcher which i available for all the platforms. Please keep in mind that this process will destroy any previous data you have on the stick.

If it fails again, I would use an other stick.

cytopia

Re: Install IPFire from USB stick to apu2d4 via its USB 3.0 front panel over serial

Post by cytopia » May 11th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Thanks a lot! Using the ISO instead of IMG did the trick!

erikvl

Post by erikvl » May 21st, 2019, 11:09 am

I am having a different problem with running the ISO from a USB drive on an APU2d4.

I have dd'ed the latest ISO to the drive. It checks out fine and the APU2d4 boots into the isolinux menu. However, at this point it stops responding to the keyboard. The output is strange too. The menu entries are displayed with all characters repeated. See attached screenshot.

I have tried on multiple APU-boards, just to rule out a faulty board. I can rule out the serial connection too, as it works fine under all other circumstances.

The strange thing is, I must have had this working before, because I already have an APU2c4 running IPFire. The only difference back then was a different laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 instead of this one with 19.04. Putty may have been different too.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=6196
Attachments
screenshot.png

erikvl

Post by erikvl » May 21st, 2019, 12:42 pm

I have found a work around for the keyboard problem. When I connect a keyboard directly to the APU2d4, I can use that to select the serial setup. After that, the installation continues and responds to the putty keyboard again.

Apparently the IsoLinux menu and the BIOS are not working together correctly.

In order for others how may run into the same problem to find this work around, and maybe for others to provide an actual solution, I will create a new thread.

OdonGarma

Post by OdonGarma » May 21st, 2019, 12:50 pm

on grub edit commandline and append

console=ttyS0,115200n8
this should do the job.

after install, check defaults in /etc/defaults/grub and look for:

GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND=“serial –unit=0 –speed=115200”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“panic=10 console=ttyS0,115200n8”
do grub update after this.

Greetz
Hardware: APU.3C4 (4.10.0.0), AMD GX-412TC SOC x4, 4GB-RAM, 32GB mSata SSD, 3x Intel I211 NIC
Modem: ZyXEL VMG1312-B VPN: IPSec (n2n), OpenVPN (Roadwarrior)

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » May 21st, 2019, 1:47 pm

Apparently the IsoLinux menu and the BIOS are not working together correctly.
I have tested many different APU Bios versions. (newer and also legacy) and all have correct responded to the serial port in the isolinux menu. (Except the double character output that could not disabled anymore in bios setup of the apu)

Are you sure that your Serial-USB Cable is working in both directions.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

erikvl

Post by erikvl » May 21st, 2019, 2:16 pm

Yes, I am. When the APU boots, I can control it with the keyboard. When the IsoLinux menu shows, I can't.

I have since installed IPFire with the help of an extra keyboard connected directly to the APU2. Putty is working properly using the same serial converter.

I use the same converter for other purposes as well, without a problem.

There is only one thing bugging me. I have in the past installed IPFire on an APU2 system, presumably using the same method. I don't remember having used an extra keyboard then. I don't usually forget such details, but I can't be sure.

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » May 21st, 2019, 3:04 pm

Have you enabled hardware handshake or xon-xoff in putty? Both must be disabled for isolinux.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

erikvl

Post by erikvl » May 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm

Arne.F wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 3:04 pm
Have you enabled hardware handshake or xon-xoff in putty? Both must be disabled for isolinux.
Good point. I will have to check...

Yep, that was it. Which also explains why I was able to install a system before. Different laptop with putty profile set correctly so long ago for Alix, that I don't remember ever changing it.

Thanks!