QoS issues

Questions to IPFire Addons.
Failboat88

QoS issues

Post by Failboat88 » June 7th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I've been trying to use the QoS. I thought by default fq_codel puts each connection into it's own queue.

Does anyone know if traffic using the presets is getting grouped into FIFO queues?
I'm getting dropped connections constantly on web.
Right now my web traffic eats up all my bandwidth and one connection will frequently take it all.
I can't open a new webpage when it's swamped. Steam and blizzard logins are dropping.

I'd like to get each connection into it's own queue for round robin.
I have ample cpu and ram to throw at it. Not concerned about that.
I'm running ipfire inside a VM. I was thinking their could be VM specific issues, like hardware offload that needs to be disabled, like pfsense has.

My bandwidths are set much lower than my actual for testing.

Failboat88

Re: QoS issues

Post by Failboat88 » June 9th, 2018, 1:04 am

I was able to get very good results by deleting most of the queues. I left ACK and default for up. I don't have much upload and I can't really shape my link because it's horrible.

2400down
For download I have UDP priority 3 min 37 max 400
default priority 4 min 37 max 2400
p2p priority 7 min 1 max 2400

I couldn't pin down the issue as to why I dropped connections before. I think you need to keep adjusting all your max on each queue if you adjust the bandwidth at the top. all my traffic shares pretty evenly, which is what I wanted. ms in OW is going up maximum around 40ms, also due to my bad dsl connection. should be much better for someone with a very stable bandwidth.

If anyone could clarify how the min and total work more in depth per second. it seems if you put the total lower on a queue then you aren't traffic conserving anymore. i'm not sure how it handles two queues allocation of bandwidth if the min is hit on them both but their combined is a small portion of total. would the higher priority get everything? I'm trying to avoid any situation where one queue could starve another, and also be traffic conserving.