Download per user ( or per IP addres)

Questions to IPFire Addons.
crimmy68

Download per user ( or per IP addres)

Post by crimmy68 » August 9th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been using IPFire for about two years now and I must say I'm happy with my choice.
A quick thanks to everyone who helped build IPFire to what it is today ;D

I do have one feature i'm missing and it's not easy to implement on another device instead ....
I would like to see how much a specific user (IP address) has downloaded over a specific period of time
but as far as i can see there is no tool for this in pakfire and I can't find one online either :'(

I know that i can see the traffic per interface in IPFire but it's not enough because I can't see who the big users are.

QUESTION:
Is there anyone who has an idea on how to accomplish this ?
I'm pretty handy in linux so even if there are some challenges involved I would love to give it a try xD

Thanks in advance
Best regards Ken

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Re: Download per user ( or per IP addres)

Post by ummeegge » August 9th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Hi Ken,
Pakfire delivers e.g. iptraf-ng --> https://wiki.ipfire.org/addons/iptraf-ng/start which recognizes also the IPs and their used bytes and it is capable to log all this but you would need to write your own scripts to get what you want. Instead there are some solutions in the forum findable which do this job and some more. There is currently some effort to bring ntop-ng to IPFire --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565#p111061 which should serve what you need and testers are welcome there ;-) .

Nevertheless you can find also bandwidthd and darkstat somewhere in the forum depths as IPFire packages which are not that good tested as ntopng-ng is but also not that vast in resource consumption.

Greetings,

UE

crimmy68

Post by crimmy68 » August 10th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Hi ummeegge,

Thank you for your fast reply.
This is what I was looking for.

ntop-ng on IPFire sounds really nice.
As soon as I find some time I'll give this a try.

Afterwards I will complete this post with a brief review
and switch to the "ntop-ng to IPFire" post --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565#p111061 for testing results on the long run.

Thanks a lot
Best regards Ken

crimmy68

Post by crimmy68 » August 13th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Hi there,

First of all I must say It's a wonderful (un)Installer.

I simply had to download the installer script, change the properties and execute the script.
The installer handles everything and explains the options so everything was installed in a few minutes , very nice.

Now what I wanted to achieve is an overview of how much a GREEN IP address has downloaded from the RED interface
Because I don't care how much data they exchange with f.e. my NAS
but I can't seem to find this in the software.

Now I simply wanted to check here if there was an easy way or maybe I overlooked something.
If not I will happily start researching/scripting but maybe that's not needed ^^

Thanks in advance
Best regards Ken

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » August 14th, 2018, 7:15 am

Hi Ken,
crimmy68 wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 5:50 pm
Now what I wanted to achieve is an overview of how much a GREEN IP address has downloaded from the RED interface
Because I don't care how much data they exchange with f.e. my NAS
but I can't seem to find this in the software.
EDIT: Have overseen your real question (have had there only a little time). You can list all interfaces but ntopng do not provides at least in this version NAT informations and appropriate filter possibilities (excludes). Ntopng provides also advanced flow collections where this might be possible. In here --> https://www.ntop.org/nprobe/advanced-fl ... nd-nprobe/ you can find an introduction to this but you will need a license for nProbe but also a deeper look all the features which this software provides (community, expert and enterprise version).

If you find more infos causing this specific function it might be nice if you can post it in the ntopng thread to inform also other possible interested people.

Greetings,

UE

P.S. If we need other/more things to build we can try to achieve this too.

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » August 15th, 2018, 3:54 pm

One more thing comes to my mind causing your wanted scenario. If want to exclude an LAN only device you can also use the "--packet-filter" option via /etc/ntopng/ntopng.conf , In here --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565&start=30#p112557 you can find an example of how to use this option.

May this brings you a bit closer to your wanted result.

Greetings,

UE