hplip broken

Questions to IPFire Addons.
b3ta

hplip broken

Post by b3ta » October 8th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Hi,

At least /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups is not installed, which leads to no printing at all to HP printers.

Unfortunately copying it from another installation (Linux Mint) didn't work, nor did trying to install the most recent hplip from HP's site, as it doesn't know the distribution and spits out a long list of dependencies.

It's not hplip itself, as the latest on said Mint installation works perfectly. The problem is I need to run the printer from a central machine, as it is a USB printer, so I have to run it off the firewall in my case.

Has anyone figured out a work-around?

8-)
John

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: hplip broken

Post by Arne.F » October 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Try to install "foomatic" via pakfire if not done already.
This should install the needed dependencies to print on hp printers. (hplip, ghostscript ...)

But a hpcups filter is not in the ipfire packages.
Arne

Support the project on the IPFire whishlist!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

b3ta

Re: hplip broken

Post by b3ta » October 9th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Thank you for the speedy reply, Arne. The suggestion didn't work though, but it looks like I found out what is going on.
EDIT:
There is a quite acceptable work-around from https://wiki.ipfire.org/addons/cups/start which is very simple: let the client do all the work while the print server simply passes the data to the printer. To do this set up the printer driver on the client, then using the CUPS interface (port 631 on your IPFire server) add the printer and share it, then set the Make to Raw and the Model to Raw Queue. The original problem remains, but at least now you can print via IPFire.
I tried a few other things and did some more reading, and it appears that /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups is required, as the PPD specifies it. In short, hplip uses the hpcups filter "to turn rasterized input from the CUPS filter chain into the printer's native format". The problem is, it is supplied by package printer-driver-hpcups, and not by hplip. The following shows how I discovered this.

FYI for below: I use wajig to ease using the dpks/apt/whatever system. The key was when I ran the following on my laptop, where direct printing works:

Code: Select all

~ $ wajig which-package /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups
INSTALLED MATCHES (x1)
----------------------
printer-driver-hpcups: /usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups
That showed me the package from which it was installed. I then looked at its description:

~ $ wajig describe -v printer-driver-hpcups
printer-driver-hpcups: HP Linux Printing and Imaging - CUPS Raster driver (hpcups)
This package contains a CUPS-Raster-based printer driver which adds support for most inkjet printers and some LaserJet printers manufactured by HP. It does not provide PPDs for the fax functionality of HP's multi-function devices.

Users of the CUPS printing system are advised to also install the hplip package, and use the hp CUPS backend to send data to the printer. HPLIP supports USB, networked and parallel-port devices, and enables extended hpcups functionality such as border-less printing. Selecting any hpcups ppd in CUPS will use hpcups automatically.

No physical PPDs are shipped with this driver. PPDs are dynamically generated via a CUPS DDK .drv file.

This package can be installed to provide a minimal headless printer solution using CUPS.
It makes more sense when you read the following extract of the output to wajig describe -v hplip:

* hpcups CUPS Raster driver to turn rasterized input from the CUPS
  filter chain into the printer's native format (PCL, LIDIL, ...).
  (hpcups is shipped in a separate package)
So, it seems that printer-driver-hpcups also needs to be installed (but it's not in the pakfire add-on list). I'm currently trying to rope my old Raspberry Pi 1 in to be the print server, but it's a bit of a job.

Thanks again for the reply.

8-)
John