Captive portal - can I whitelist clients

Questions to IPFire Addons.
ripcord

Captive portal - can I whitelist clients

Post by ripcord » May 13th, 2019, 4:30 am

I had a question about the captive portal that I can't find an answer to in the forums or the documentation. My main question is if there is a way to whitelist clients by MAC or IP address from the captive portal?

Here's my situation. I want to run the Captive Portal in Terms and Conditions mode and I only have Green and Red. I also have several mesh access points distributing WIFI around my farm. Unfortunately, these EnGenius ENH202 bridging access points do not have capability for detecting and authenticating against captive portals, only WPA2 or RADIUS, so whitelisting them seems to be the only way to work around this without upgrading a bunch of hardware.

I've read through all the config files and tried exempting them via the web proxy by MAC address, but this didn't seem to work. Any hints? Thanks!

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: Captive portal - can I whitelist clients

Post by Arne.F » May 21st, 2019, 8:02 am

There no whitelist function implemented yet.

But im not really understand your problem.
A bridge AP not need access to the internet for function. It only need establish the connection to the Wireless Network. If now clients cannot surf the AP not really bridge the Network and are incompatible with the captive portal at all because it alter the traffic or mac addresses. In this case also whitelisting the AP will not work.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

ripcord

Post by ripcord » May 22nd, 2019, 2:03 pm

Thanks for letting me know. These wifi client bridge units (not sure if that's exactly the right thing to call them) connect to the network via wpa2 and obtain an IP address via dhcp just like a normal client. It sounds like I need a different solution. Thanks, again.

lene-jan

Post by lene-jan » June 2nd, 2019, 7:37 am

I could use a whitelist to be able to connect iot without a webinterface to blue. Whitelist would be a great thing in Captive Portal!

silbert3

Post by silbert3 » October 29th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Hi Folks,

I have the same issue - I use a Fritzbox as well as Wireless access point as also as VoIP phone system. The Fritzbox is using IPFire as internet connection and as soon as I enable the Captive Portal on Blue (where the Fritzbox is connected to), it drops the VoIP connection to the outside world.
Being unable to initially register the Box with an unlimited Ticket, I need a solution to manually assign it to its MAC address.

Any idea? Can I edit maybe on file level?

Greetings,
Pat