Intel Celeron J3455 compatibility

Questions & Discussion about the right Hardware to run IPFire on
xerpentor

Intel Celeron J3455 compatibility

Post by xerpentor » September 10th, 2019, 10:55 am

I want to build an IpFire machine using a Gigabyte J3455N-D3H board with Intel Celeron J3455 Quad Core and 8gb Ram. Will I encounter any issues with IPFire 64bit build using this hardware ? I already ordered it but I still have some time to cancel if I find out I might run into issues. Please help ! Thank you in advance.

Hellfire

Re: Intel Celeron J3455 compatibility

Post by Hellfire » September 10th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Regarding your chosen processor, there is a thread starting up right now in a another forum, because of possible Intel CPU failures: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/128466.

Just got aware of this possible issue and your that topic here, since my Synology NAS DS918+ has got this CPU soldered on. :-\

Maybe it's not any problem for you but I thought it's worth mentioning it.

xerpentor

Re: Intel Celeron J3455 compatibility

Post by xerpentor » September 10th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that. A failing CPU on a NAS is a much bigger problem than mine, that's for sure. If anything I have 3 years of warranty and I can return it if it comes to CPU failure. My issue on this CPU was, will it run IPFire smoothly. I'm asking this because I translated the German forums and got the impression from some members that do have this CPU, that they ran into some issues when running IPFire, but apparently solved with the latest kernel 4.14+. But I'm still not sure. Except the fact that it might fail on me, is there any other issue concerning running IPFire on this CPU or it's motherboard that will pose a problem or will it run just fine ? Anything else related to IP Fire that might be a problem hardware -wise ?? Do I need to update the bios to the latest version. Do I need nightly build for it or will it run fine on normal builds? Will it run sluggishly, will it bottleneck my 1Gbit bandwidth ? I forgot to mention I do have 1Gbit bandwidth at home and I currently do have a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 that does hit the maximum speed 900+ Mbit DOWN, 900+ Mbit UP. Does the Celeron J3455N bottleneck a 1Gbit line ? Thank you for the prompt answer.