[SOLVED THX] raspberry hardwar proxy

General questions.
ipfire987

[SOLVED THX] raspberry hardwar proxy

Post by ipfire987 » February 7th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Hello,

I have a raspberry pi.
I want to use ipfire as a proxy in order to black list some web site for example (facebook, youtube...).
For the red interface I use an ethernet connexion.

And for the green interface which hardware can i use ?

thanks for all :)
Last edited by ipfire987 on February 8th, 2019, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodneyp

Re: raspberry hardwar proxy

Post by rodneyp » February 7th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Most RPi models have problems with IPFire - see https://wiki.ipfire.org/hardware/arm/start

Better to use the onboard Ethernet as GREEN and a plug-in USB-Ethernet adapter as RED. That way you don't lose access to the IPFire device if the USB dongle "drops out" The wiki does report on some of the latter, but it is difficult to identify the devices from information provided by vendors. In that case, simply buy a low cost device and it will probably work.

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Re: raspberry hardwar proxy

Post by Arne.F » February 8th, 2019, 8:07 am

Better to use the onboard Ethernet as GREEN and a plug-in USB-Ethernet adapter as RED. That way you don't lose access to the IPFire device if the USB dongle "drops out"
At my tests the internal nics drops more often. The internal nic als also a USB Device even if it soldered to the board so it make not much difference. The stablest device seems to be the wlan.

I hope the next kernel will help more (planned for core128) because there are some DMA fixes in the upstream kernel...
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.