j5create usb-ethernet dongle crashes ipfire

Questions & Discussion about the right Hardware to run IPFire on
retiredipcop

j5create usb-ethernet dongle crashes ipfire

Post by retiredipcop » June 16th, 2019, 10:15 am

[Updated this post 6-20-2019]

Recently, I installed a j5create usb-ethernet device in my ipfire VM. Since doing so, the ipfire system intermittently crashes. I usually see a kernel message "nobody cared" -- since I originally posted this, I have seen this numerous times. When I tried the steps below, sometimes the "nobody cared" message does not occur; I might see what appears to be a long line of control characters instead (I didn't inspect these other outputs thoroughly).

I've tried adding the "irqpoll" option to the boot; I've tried booting the PAE version (I'm running the 32 bit version); and I've tried both together. All of these still result in a crash... at some point. Usually I get a good day or so before the crash, but I've had it fail after just a few hours. I've done some fairly extensive searches for a solution to this issue; most of the complaints originally posted like 5 or 6 years ago, so either those have been addressed since then, and others have indicated they moved on to different hardware. The driver has not seen an update recently, from a brief reconnaissance of the git repo for it.

The j5create usb-ethernet device is not officially supported, per your hardware support list. However, the TU3-ETG and Delock 62121 are supported, and share the same USB ID (0b95:1790) and driver (ax88179_178a). I would hope all of these devices are similar enough that it would be OK to use my device with ipfire. I have not yet tested this with a different environment for comparison, but pending responses here, I may try it.

Before installing the j5create device, I had not had this problem at all. Ipfire has worked very reliably. My config can be perused at https://fireinfo.ipfire.org/profile/dbc ... ac93a9ffbd if that is helpful. Please let me know what else you need to pursue this bug.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edwin009

Re: j5create usb-ethernet dongle crashes ipfire

Post by Edwin009 » June 26th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Please find the list of compaibility, i prefer sticking to the same.

https://wiki.ipfire.org/hardware/networking
Regards,
Edwin S |Tech Support Team
Enterprise E5 Expert

retiredipcop

Post by retiredipcop » June 28th, 2019, 2:36 pm

If it is using the same driver, I would think it is using a compatible chip to drive the device. It even identifies as the same USB make and model as the supported ones. I am wondering what would be different, such that one would work and the other not. But I don't know that much about these devices.

robinperker007

Post by robinperker007 » July 5th, 2019, 11:13 am

When I was going to print any document then I found that canon printer offline windows 10 and after that, I cannot print anything. This is giving trouble, so please help me with the fix so that I can print documents. I tried fixing it by reinstalling the drivers but still, it was not fixed.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » July 5th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Many usb-ethernet dongles have no ventilation slots and can overheat in hot weather - are you in the Northern Hemisphere heat-wave ? If so, some possible mitigations:

orient the dongle vertically

put a fan under it

it's possible to cut ventilation slots in the case - but be careful to know which side has the PCB

retiredipcop

Post by retiredipcop » August 10th, 2019, 11:28 pm

So I ordered a new dongle, this time a Plugable brand adapter. It too has the exact same problem; it randomly drops the connection.

There is another module, cdc_ether, which this (Plugable) adapter supposedly can use. See https://www.pcsuggest.com/best-usb-ethernet-adapter/. I am thinking it might be more reliable. If there is a way to blacklist the ax88179_178a module and force my ipfire to load cdc_ether instead, I'd like to try it. But I am not sure of all the ramifications of doing this.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » August 10th, 2019, 11:54 pm

I have used the cdc_ether driver briefly with an older TP Link USB-DSL modem and it worked OK with IPFire, but that was many Cores ago.

You could try it from the command line by:

rmmod ax88179_178a
insmod cdc_ether

BTW, it is less hassle if the dongle is RED interface. Trying to change GREEN device can get into a Catch 22 situation, if IPFire does not recognize/accept the changed configuration.

retiredipcop

Post by retiredipcop » August 11th, 2019, 2:22 am

Thanks Rodney. I have tried the module switch already with the first dongle. Even after I restarted the networking (as opposed to rebooting), it did not work. I think there may be parameters to pass to the module, or some other system configuration. That's what I meant by ramifications; I find that usually, when it comes to system modules, it is never quite easy.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » August 11th, 2019, 3:28 am

You are focussing on USB3 dongles. I've used no-name USB2-10/100 dongles fairly reliably with IPFire. Internally those identify as Advent DM9601 and currently use module dm9601. In my experience, USB 2 can usually deliver 240 Mb/s.

Previously I tried a USB2-10/100 dongle that uses module asix for a AX88772A chip. I found, as you have, that it dropped out unpredictably.

It's often impossible to identify the chip, prior to purchase, in no-name items.

Do you need >100 Mb/s on RED ? If not, then a brand name USB2-10/100, that won't use the ax88179_178a module, should be obtainable.

retiredipcop

Post by retiredipcop » August 11th, 2019, 10:43 pm

heh. Good point. Actually, I am only paying for 60Mbps down atm, so yeah, a USB 2.0 supporting 10/100 Mbps would be way more than adequate. I was just going by the hardware list this time.

I might just go get a 2.0 dongle. So far, I've spent over $40 on these 2 dongles, and one more will add about $10-15 to the tab. But not having to constantly reset my ipfire box would make it all worth it.

I think I'll take your advice and order one today...

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » August 12th, 2019, 8:04 am

At my last test ax88179_178a has worked without problems as long the USB Port and Power Supply was stable. Have you tryed a powered hub between the IPFire and the Dongle?

Blacklisting is possible like in other linux distributions.

create a new file or add this line to a file in /etc/modprobe.d/
blacklist modulname
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.

retiredipcop

Post by retiredipcop » August 17th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Arne.F wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 8:04 am
At my last test ax88179_178a has worked without problems as long the USB Port and Power Supply was stable. Have you tryed a powered hub between the IPFire and the Dongle?

Blacklisting is possible like in other linux distributions.

create a new file or add this line to a file in /etc/modprobe.d/
blacklist modulname
No, I haven't tried a powered hub yet. I just wonder how much more money and time I need to spend to get this working... a USB 2.0 dongle (one using not using ax88179_a178), powered hub, and will it ever work? But I will carefully consider your suggestions! Thank you.

As far as blacklisting, that works fine. The trouble is, how do I get cdc_ether to load and create the red0 device? That's the part that I am still not understanding. I can manually load cdc_ether and restart networking, but even running dhcpcd does not seem to create the red0 device.

BTW, I should probably add that the USB port is 3.0. I've tried switching to the other 3.0 port in the pair with no difference in outcomes. Those are the only USB3 ports on my computer.
Last edited by retiredipcop on August 18th, 2019, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rodneyp

Post by rodneyp » August 17th, 2019, 11:08 pm

If your computer has a PCIe or PCI slot then an Ethernet card might be a more stable prospect. Many would use r8169.ko module and the later Gb ones achieve that, on my measurements.

A powered hub is certainly advisable for ARM boards, but modern USB-NIC dongles draw < 200 mA and should work reliably from other computers, provided that there are not a lot of other devices on the same USB bus. "lsusb" would provide some info.

Arne.F
Core Developer
Core Developer

Post by Arne.F » August 18th, 2019, 10:32 am

Mein ASIX AX88179 (0b95:1790) hat laut "lsusb -v" kein CDC kompatibles Interface daher kann CDC_Ether damit auch nix anfangen.
Arne

Support the project on the donation!

PS: I will not answer support questions via email and ignore IPFire related messages on my non IPFire.org mail addresses.