ntopng for IPFire

Help on building IPFire & Feature Requests
ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Re: ntopng for IPFire

Post by ummeegge » August 29th, 2018, 7:54 am

Hi all,
updated version has been uploaded with fixes for the password problem --> https://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php? ... 45#p118356 --> https://github.com/ntop/ntopng/issues/1935 .

As usual, use the updated installer from start topic --> https://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php? ... 65#p111061 .

Greetings,

UE

dnl

Post by dnl » November 17th, 2018, 10:32 am

Thank you ummeegge, gocart and others for your work on this!
I have been wanting to try ntopng for some time but haven't investigated it further.

The first post in this thread says:
ummeegge wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 10:19 am
Since gocart has also build packages for ntopng (the stable not the dev version) on IPFire --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565&start=15#p111142 (thanks gocart;) you have now the choice ;-)
The problem is that gocart's version doesn't appear to have been updated (it's 3.4, but 3.6.1 is the latest stable version. It was released one month ago).

Are both the "stable" and "development" versions of ntopng for IPFire being maintained?
If they are, could you please update the first post in this thread with a download link for the stable which gocart has released? (preferably an online repo)

PS I have loads of spare RAM on the system I'd use this on. I guess it would be wise for me to increase the limits on redis?

Thank you!

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » November 17th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Hi dnl,
dnl wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:32 am
The first post in this thread says:
ummeegge wrote:
October 1st, 2017, 10:19 am
Since gocart has also build packages for ntopng (the stable not the dev version) on IPFire --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565&start=15#p111142 (thanks gocart;) you have now the choice ;-)

Are both the "stable" and "development" versions of ntopng for IPFire being maintained?
If they are, could you please update the first post in this thread with a download link for the stable which gocart has released? (preferably an online repo)
The problem is that gocart's version doesn't appear to have been updated (it's 3.4, but 3.6.1 is the latest stable version. It was released one month ago).
you can find gocart´s PAKS in here --> https://people.ipfire.org/~mlorenz/pak/ and they are currently up-to-date but there is no in- uninstaller for them available as far as i know, so you would need to install them by your own (they do have already a lot of logic in itself {in- uninstall.sh´s},... ), but possibly i´ am wrong there? May gocart can say something more actual in that manner? Will link then all info´s in the first post.

I use the dev version since the beginning of this topic to stay tuned for may needed changes to keep the IPFire platform active in there and may also for feedback/try_to_fix with the ntop developers which happens several times (really a good support there).
I try always to test all version which i provide in here as good as possible which do not preserves 100% fault free but i think we could fix all problems in here. The current available IPFire version is 'v.3.7.180921' which is stable here since several weeks now.
dnl wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 10:32 am
PS I have loads of spare RAM on the system I'd use this on. I guess it would be wise for me to increase the limits on redis?
i don´t think that you need to increase the redis limits if you use ntopng only, but new testings and all that might be nevertheless always nice.

Greetings,

UE

dnl

Post by dnl » November 18th, 2018, 8:19 am

Thank you for that ummeegge.

I'm trying to decide which version to use.

Are failures of ntopng likely to cause a problem for standard IPFire functions (routing/firewalling etc), or do they usually only cause ntopng itself to fail?
If problems usually only affect ntopng itself, then I'll help try your development version.

Thank you!

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » November 18th, 2018, 9:46 am

Hi dnl,
your welcome.
dnl wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 8:19 am
Are failures of ntopng likely to cause a problem for standard IPFire functions (routing/firewalling etc), or do they usually only cause ntopng itself to fail?
they do usually only causes ntopng itself to fail. ntopng uses libpcap to analyses the packages only but ntopng comes also with different versions --> https://www.ntop.org/products/traffic-analysis/ntop/ (Community, Professional, Enterprise whereby the last two are paid version) where it is also possible to enforce Layer-7 Traffic policies --> https://www.ntop.org/ndpi/how-to-enforc ... ng-ntopng/ which includes also inline traffic capabilities but also in that case i think it won´t causes problems in the IPFire system itself (separate installation) but i have there no experience since i only use the community version of ntopng.

There are also some upcoming changes causing IPFire itself. json-c will be dropped for this installation here since IPFire delivers it with Core 125. Also the paxctl commands are not needed anymore with >= Core 125 since it has also been dropped.
From my point, i will drop the 32bit version with the next version since my second building environment has been died and am currently only on 64bit building platform (if donations for a new Mainboard comes up, i would think about this may another time :D ).

Greetings,

UE

dnl

Post by dnl » November 22nd, 2018, 9:36 am

Thanks ummeegge, your installer is very easy to use.

I've just installed it and will spend a bit of time reading the documentation to understand this application.

dnl

Post by dnl » November 23rd, 2018, 1:28 am

Hello Ummeegge,

I've got a problem where ntop is only showing my BLUE (WiFi) network in dashboards and in the "Local Hosts" page.
All my GREEN (wired) network devices do appear in the "All Hosts" page though.

Your shell script has set the "--local-networks" option correctly for BOTH networks in /etc/ntopng.conf so I'm not sure why this is happening.

EDIT: ID10T error. It seems the "Interfaces" menu is set back to blue0 even though I'd selected green0 at one point.
I notice that it keeps thinking android phones are Apple IOS computers (not phones) and if you change them from a computer to a phone it doesn't save, but that's a very minor problem.

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » November 23rd, 2018, 10:28 am

Hi dnl,
dnl wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 1:28 am
I've got a problem where ntop is only showing my BLUE (WiFi) network in dashboards and in the "Local Hosts" page.
the dashboard, flows and host section is separated by the selected "Interfaces", better overview. So you would need to change the interface and the dashboard, flows, host section will be updated appropriately.
dnl wrote:
EDIT: ID10T error.
It seems the "Interfaces" menu is set back to blue0 even though I'd selected green0 at one point.
No problem here with this.
dnl wrote:
I notice that it keeps thinking android phones are Apple IOS computers (not phones) and if you change them from a computer to a phone it doesn't save, but that's a very minor problem.
Tried that too and i have also no problem to change this via the "Host Alias" section.

Is this persistent or does it only appears sometimes ?

Best,

UE

dnl

Post by dnl » November 25th, 2018, 8:49 am

Hi again,
ummeegge wrote:
November 23rd, 2018, 10:28 am
Is this persistent or does it only appears sometimes ?
I enabled "Network Discovery" in the preferences and have it running once a day. It seems that feature will override changes made to a host, which is not what I expected.

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » November 25th, 2018, 10:43 am

Hi dnl,
i do have also "Network Discovery" every 15 minutes enabled and have checked for your incidence and the host entries are not be overwritten here but i found also a problem in the host pool section. If i want to set the "Device Type" in "Manage Pool Membership" the menu disappears if i try to click one entry. This happens only if "Member Address" or "Alias / Manufacturer" has already content, if they are empty the menu can be used without problems.

Can you describe your procedures step by step to better reproduce this bug so we can possibly ask on the ntopng community for a possible fix.

Greetings,

UE

dnl

Post by dnl » November 28th, 2018, 9:46 am

ummeegge wrote:
November 25th, 2018, 10:43 am
Can you describe your procedures step by step to better reproduce this bug so we can possibly ask on the ntopng community for a possible fix.
The problem still occurs for me, but I've not kept a list of everything I've changed, sorry!

When I have time I'll reset/drop the database and try again from scratch.

iccb

Post by iccb » December 19th, 2018, 10:03 am

I get this kind of problem when trying to install ntopng:

I have tryiet to delete all and reboot the machine, but no go. And I have tryet to install it with different options, but still no go.
Any suggests?

Machine is x86-64 and ipfire is Core 125.
Attachments
ntopng.png

ummeegge
Community Developer
Community Developer

Post by ummeegge » December 19th, 2018, 10:14 am

Hi iccb,
did you use the actual installer from here --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565#p111061 ? Or did you execute this commands

Code: Select all

cd /tmp &&
curl -O https://gitlab.com/ummeegge/ntopng-ipfire/raw/master/scripts/ntopng-installer.sh &&
chmod +x ntopng-installer.sh
./ntopng-installer.sh
?

UE

iccb

Post by iccb » December 19th, 2018, 10:30 am

ummeegge wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 10:14 am
Hi iccb,
did you use the actual installer from here --> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19565#p111061 ? Or did you execute this commands

Code: Select all

cd /tmp &&
curl -O https://gitlab.com/ummeegge/ntopng-ipfire/raw/master/scripts/ntopng-installer.sh &&
chmod +x ntopng-installer.sh
./ntopng-installer.sh
?

UE
I used those commands in terminal. I can try to download installer.

iccb

Post by iccb » December 19th, 2018, 10:36 am

I copied the install script to my firewall and installed ntopng through the script, and it worked!
Thx ummeegge for your hard work for this addon and ipfire general! :)