GREEN + BLUE + BLUE2 network?

General questions.
dnl

GREEN + BLUE + BLUE2 network?

Post by dnl » July 14th, 2019, 11:05 am

Hello,
I have spent some time search these forums but have not found a way to set up an internal network in addition to GREEN, BLUE and ORANGE.

I would like to set up a network for IoT devices (my IPFire system has an unused NIC) however I'm already using GREEN and BLUE.
  • I do not want the IoT devices to be exposed directly to the internet and they need to have (limited) access to some IPs on GREEN, so if I used ORANGE I may have to make major changes.
  • I imagine I could configure an unused NIC using SSH, but this means I couldn't use the IPFire UI to configure it and I would risk problems when upgrading IPFire.
Do you have any suggestions as to how I could use the unused NIC to provide another "internal" network?
Has anyone configured additional NICs with IPFire?

Thank you!
IPFire 2.x (Latest Update) on x86_64 Intel Bay Trail CPU, 4GiB RAM, RED + GREEN + BLUE + ORANGE

Mentalic

Re: GREEN + BLUE + BLUE2 network?

Post by Mentalic » July 14th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I'm running green, blue, orange. You should be able to get what you want with a few rules.

The default policy is a handy place to start planning.
https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/f ... ult-policy

dnl

Re: GREEN + BLUE + BLUE2 network?

Post by dnl » July 15th, 2019, 2:26 am

Mentalic wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 2:33 pm
I'm running green, blue, orange. You should be able to get what you want with a few rules.

The default policy is a handy place to start planning.
https://wiki.ipfire.org/configuration/f ... ult-policy
Thanks Mentalic! That does sound much easier than I had expected.

That wiki page has changed a lot since I read it years ago. It looks very clear (thanks Bernanke and Arne.F!).
The only thing lacking is I will probably need DHCP. At worst I can run it from another system, not IPFire.

Anyway, when I get a chance to implement all this I'll try to remember to come back and update this post with what I did.
IPFire 2.x (Latest Update) on x86_64 Intel Bay Trail CPU, 4GiB RAM, RED + GREEN + BLUE + ORANGE